View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 07:02 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

More cameras?! What's the big deal, I already have a GoPro camera.

Well ...

Here's the thing, if you would be happy kiting exclusively with say a 1998 8.5 m Wipika Classic or a 1999 Fone ATK ram foil kite, I agree. The thing is most of us like new technology like BOW or high depower C kites and all the major added capabilities they can bring.

I started using GoPro's over three years ago, with the WIDE, now four camera generations in the past. It was an amazing small, inexpensive camera that was rated to 130 ft., was out of focus underwater which became worse in low light and poor visibility particularly in still photography, ran out of power in about 45 minutes, took over a day to recharge the relatively expensive Nickel Metal Hydride AA cells, was WAY shifted into blue spectra, couldn't use larger than 2 to 4 G SD cards but had a remarkable fairly flat wide angle view. It could actually "see" further underwater than I could or other cameras. It took me until this year to figure out why too. The small size and "relative" image quality vs. price were fairly unique at the time. I didn't know when I called GoPro headquarters in California that they only had seven employees, it was a small startup on the brink of big things.

Here is an image of me in the Red Sea shooting a pod of dolphins with a GoPro WIDE camera in September 2009 and the video that came out of that dive. It is out of focus but still pretty interesting.

Dolphins of Sataya
http://vimeo.com/6854619

Here's another one shot with the WIDE in the underwater labyrinth of Claudia Reef also in the Red Sea on the same trip in 2009. Interesting but limited low light capability and fuzzy.
http://vimeo.com/7969240

Things have come very far in just three years. The lower light capability, numerous shooting modes, higher resolutions, adjustable white balance, corrected UW housing, WIFI and on and on of the new GoPro3 Black camera are light years ahead of the shooting limits of the now obsolete WIDE and in many important respects the far more recent HD2 camera.

So, use great new technology bringing substantial new capabilities or go with the more limited old gear, shooter's choice.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 10-18-2012 at 05:06 PM.