View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 02:19 PM

I guess to start that you could do reaching races as this will accommodate all riders. I will say however that this will not encourage riders to looking into course racing boards which are far better for riding in light wind FL conditions. If you are going to do a reaching race, I'd at least make the effort to do an on the water start with a timed sequence. It seems as though most of the racing in FL has been pretty bad as far as having proper starts and finishes. Having a proper start will allow riders to actually learn a bit more about racing and will allow future events to be more fun and competitive.

If you pull up the course that I proposed for the Miami Kiteboard Masters race, you will find this very useful. The organizers decided to utilize a different course that didn't work out very well especially considering the conditions. The proposed course would have been perfect and allowed everyone to finish easily while at the same time teaching them a bit about racing and providing areas where passing is possible.

In order for racing to progress as it has elsewhere, we need not only racers with competitive equipment, but also race organizers that fully understand how racing works and utilize proven race management tools. Good luck and have fun.

Kent