View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott View Post
Very interesting statistics Rick. That's a lot of effort, thanks.
The stat that is most interesting to me is that launching and landing account for a slight majority of the injury events. But, when you consider the time involved for each event proportionate to the time spent kiting, (I tend to ride for 3 hours, with one launch and one land taking maybe 3 minutes total) then it really becomes clear that launching and landing are disproportionately dangerous moments in time.

Thanks Rick.

You're welcome Scott! It did take quite a bit of digging but at least I got it covered, in August 2006! A magazine wanted to publish it and then changed their mind about when to go to press. Almost one year later, here we are. The trends may have evolved a bit since then. I am working on a close look at such changes that may have occurred over the last few years with the inception of flat kites.

You are so right, time is critical and relative in this sort of study. Anytime were are near or on land I would assume are risks go way up though. It is a failing in presenting statistics per 100,000 population in my opinion as well. Then again, I feel fortunate to even be able to come up with that comparative data much less time weighted loss info. It would be great if the industry tracked demographic data but to my knowledge they don't. Or if they do, the info is closely held.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi