FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-26-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Moving to Miami

Hi.
I'm living in Seattle and moving to Miami this summer. My girlfriend will be working in Ft Lauderdale and I will work at Miami airport.
I'm looking for a convenient location between Ft Lauderdale and Miami where I can stay close from a all year round good kiteboarding spot.

What is kiting looking like around Aventura?

Thanks for the advices!
Tony
Old 02-27-2007, 06:32 AM
Can't Re-member

Aventura is where all the old rich people live but you can prolly find a good crib around Hallandale area . Kiting is great in that area but in truth you'll be driving around alot anyways in S FL. It always turns out that way . Aventura / Hallandale / N Miami bch have alot of good spots but only for NE/E / SE/ S winds. Better have patience for the
traffic to/from MIA, getting thru downtown rushhour stinks! I guess its no better than seattle
Old 02-27-2007, 08:03 AM

www.space01.net in North Bay Village $600k+
Old 02-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Our winds are lighter than you may be used to but it is warmer and doesn't rain quite as much. Aventura is a nice area, often pricey but it is all relative. All the riding in this part of the county is in the waves and the open ocean. Not too far south though is calmer water in Biscayne Bay and the Keys. As Raul says you may be inclined to do some road trips, the State has a lot of variable conditions to checkout.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-09-2007, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the info.
I'll be down in Miami early this summer after enjoying our strong summer winds in Oregon.

Anyone has other suggestions for a good place close to a kite spot between Ft Lauderdale and Miami airport?

Thanks
Tony
Old 03-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykite View Post
Thanks for the info.
I'll be down in Miami early this summer after enjoying our strong summer winds in Oregon.

Anyone has other suggestions for a good place close to a kite spot between Ft Lauderdale and Miami airport?

Thanks
Tony
Many are the same in terms of kiting conditions along that section of coast. Everything is in the open ocean with Biscayne Bay falling south of the Airport.

More cost effective locations include parts of Hollywood, Dania and Hallandale.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:27 PM

Hello
I'll be in Miami this week end to check out the spots and find a place to live. I have been told that the commute might be a nightmare from Aventura to Miami Airport in the morning and at night.
I found some apartments in Sunny Isles and Surfside. What does kiting is looking like there? What are the local spots?
Where will get more conditions between Miami beach, Sunny Isles, Surfside or Aventura?
Any other idea than the plavces listed above?

Thank you
Hope to catch a session in Miami warm waters soon. Winds is good in Seattle but it's freezing. :-D
Tony
Old 04-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
I found some apartments in Sunny Isles and Surfside. What does kiting is looking like there? What are the local spots?
Where will get more conditions between Miami beach, Sunny Isles, Surfside or Aventura?
Those are all about equal good spots for ocean riding

but

you have to stop microthinking the areas to kiteboard that are within a 10 mile radius cause there are alotta great spots north and south of there.

don't try getting to any of those other spots during rush hour tho', anything along the beach is fair game as long as you abide by any restrictions on that beach. Maybe we'll even have 10-15 kts this summer, personally I'm going to Greece and the Gorge for wind instead of here

Be prepared for rain at any time during summer, much like your winter ( it just won't last as long , maybe it will, or not as cold )
Old 04-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykite View Post
Hello
I'll be in Miami this week end to check out the spots and find a place to live. I have been told that the commute might be a nightmare from Aventura to Miami Airport in the morning and at night.

Thank you
Hope to catch a session in Miami warm waters soon. Winds is good in Seattle but it's freezing. :-D
Tony
The rush hours traffic particularly on I-95 can be intense in Miami. Southbound in the morning and northbound in the late afternoon/evening. It was just as bad over 30 years ago, fewer lanes then however. There are other N-S thoroughfares with varying amounts of traffic. Other big cities have similar but larger traffic problems, i.e. LA, NY, etc..

Much of the ocean riding can be similar along Miami Beach including the northern townships you mentioned. I heard that kiting off guarded beaches at Surfside had been banned. It is reportedly still allowed to the south of the Township however.

As you probably know, our wind season pretty much ends around mid May to early June most years. It doesn't really pickup again until the stronger cold fronts start to pump through again, perhaps October or November. There are exceptions but best advice for kiting in the summer is to be prepared to grab the odd thermal wind session when it cooks off (largely unpredicted) or period of sustained wind (not associated with tropical systems) and to plan a good wind destination trip or two out of town like Raul. At the same time there can be fairly common violent squalls which the smart money will avoid like the plague.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-10-2007, 10:28 PM

Thank you.
I am trying to find a place close to a good spot. I found out in Seattle that this is the best way to ride whenever it is windy and sneak out a session in the early morning and at night. I definitely want to discover all the other spots of Florida during days off.
I heard about the summer season in Miami... What a bad timing to leave Seattle. We have wind every day here and if not you reach Hood River in 4 hours.

I'll take a month and a half trip from Seattle to Miami, hopefully I'll get a fair amount of wind to wait for the winter season. Where is the closest place you guys travel to for winds in the summer? Puerto Rico?

Looking forward to meet you on the beach.
Tony