FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Can't Re-member

Make it simplest of all , wear a ribbon on your kite to say you are a local + proficient <> not have one , you are a beginner / non local.

If anybody wants to step up to talk to non ribbon people then they are welcome

P.S. I prefer kite ribbons b/c thats what I'm focused on, how close their kite is to me; what their kites are doing; I really don't pay too much attention to boards or the people on them just the closest 5-7 kites to me ; that'd be soo cool that I would also attach whistles to my kite to add to the effect as it does a kite loop
Old 08-22-2007, 07:09 PM

I like the way Tom views the matter. You can't really make people identify themselves as a something less-than-average. Nobody would be willing to do that. The idea is that without having the band they will be doing it to themselves. This idea of a band is feasible. If enough of us join in on it....those without the bands will just want to be "in the club" so to speak. It would also make the kiting scene look more organized to park officials, police/emt, and so forth when they notice some sort of a system that's been enacted. It will legitimize us and look as though we are actually taking steps to ensure the safety of our riders. For the rebels out there...We won't be able to keep them off the water, simply due to the fact that we have no authority. What can be done is a simple conversation to those without bands and give them advise on what they should or shouldn't do. If they choose to ride, at least we all know to stay the hell away from them. I would think after being approached time and time again for not having the band that person would eventually make the effort to find one. Obviously there would need to be more than one person dishing out the bands. Maybe people from our little fksa community that ride the most and in certain spots to make sure the bands get out to the most people. There's a few of us that are always on the water when there is wind....it could be done.

if it's something like a ribbon on a kite rather than a band that's fine too.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:14 PM

Hello y'all,
Sorry I haven't had a chance to read the last 4 pages of this novel so if I overlap anyone please dont take it personally.
What happened last week was very unfortunate. Hopefully the rider will recover quickly. After recently suffering a bad injury myself I can relate.
I agree that there needs to be a "policing" of ourselves.It can be done formally or informally. My opinion is that the best way is to post permenent signs at each congested riding area (I think Toby mentioned this).
Granted, to some this may seem like it will cause alarm but I think it, more importantly, shows that the Tampa Bay kitesurfing community cares and is taking action to educate and protect the riders and bystanders.

IT IS ABSOUTELY NECESSARY THAT WE POLICE OURSELVES, BUT I THINK IT IS JUST AS IMPORTANT TO HAVE THE "POLICE" ON OUR SIDE.

Please check out the thread that I am starting "ST PETE KITESURFING POLITICS" to see how we can guarantee that kitesurfing will NEVER be banned in TampaBay.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:26 PM
popeye

I do agree that getting organized is not going to draw negative attention. If we ask for a sign to be posted, they will either be impressed, or just not care at all.

One thing is certain, we have to do SOMETHING, and we have to stick to it.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:36 PM

People don't follow traffic signs...why would they follow one of ours? Signs are only good if they are enforceable, which ours is not. If noobs want to ride they're gonna ride. They don't realize their skill level. It took me 3months of riding before I was self-sufficient and would even show my face to you guys at our launches. New riders are going straight to the skyway after the lesson. WE need to police it...not a sign. The police could care less about us putting a sign up. Unfortunately, nobody follows the signs they put up.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:42 PM
popeye

You are right, but most newbs will not know if it's enforceable or not.

And, as long as a few people point it out and enforce it themselves, it is in effect enforced. Sure they could give you the finger and you couldn't do anything about it... but then again you could kick their ass for it too. But I'll leave that decision up to the enforcer and the situation.

Fact is many signs are not enforceable... like "Do not walk on grass" but 90% of the people with any moral fabric at all still obey them because their parents raised them correctly... and of course they do not like someone giving them a hard time when they know they are in the wrong.

There is no reason we can't have a sign and still do something else such as rubber bracelets.

At this point ANYTHING would be better than nothing at all. I'm also pretty sure Jayson (who is pretty creative) could have those signs made for less than $165 each. I think we really only need two (if we can get permission from Ft. Desoto... pretty sure that can happen. Both Jason and Scott have a good relationship with the rangers).
Old 08-22-2007, 07:51 PM

I just think that a sign ALONE won't do a whole lot. I have morals like most and try to follow the rules, but there are many more who disregard them completely. I would have no objections to the sign if still enacting the band idea. In fact, I would encourage it. I just think, for new riders, the goal is really to fit in with the other kiters and make some new friends. Part of the "fitting in" process would be to get the band so they aren't looked at like a hazard to us all. They would be much more welcomed that way.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:15 PM

but something is better than nothing..

if we post a sign then at least we can say to some new rider on the beach "hey.. this launch is for experience riders only.. did you read the sign?"

i still am wanting to get more ideas on how to make it more newbie-friendly.. but if we can get a sign at our local launches, thats a great great start.

Jay.. do you know if the rangers at Ft. Desoto would allow us to put one up if we can get one together? What about how to go about getting one at the skyway launches? Would that have to go thru the city?

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa