FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-16-2009, 02:53 PM

Default Light Wind Tips for a Noob

I'm a fairly new kiteboarder and just got a 12m Switchblade the other day. I'm of course itching to try it out but it's looking like wind's going to be a bit light this weekend for my kite. I was thinking about busting out my 6'6" (or my 6'2" if i can get away with it) surfboard to at least get a little time in on the water and was just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on if it'd be worth my while to drive out to the beach in winds around 8-10kts (I weigh around 200lbs).
I really want to just get some flying-time in with my kite and get used to it (I know performance will change with optimal winds, but I'd love to just get this thing in the air for the first time!) and don't really want to fly it on land for the obvious danger factor.
Any advice would be great!
Old 12-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Have you flown a kite in light winds like that before? If so, continue on, if not, you might take a pass until slightly stronger winds, say 12 to 18 kts. are on. If you can walk a ways offshore and still be able to standup without getting bashed over by waves, it might be worth your while. You will likely be underpowered even with the 6'6" surfboard at 200#. Make sure there is no one nearby to get clotheslined either. It may be a frustrating experience but it should help you to learn some critical knowledge about lightwind technique. Florida kiters need to develop skills in that area anyway. Question, have you ever water started on a strapless surfboard before? It isn't that hard but for a new kiter particularly in gnat sneeze wind it may not be a good idea after all. If you don't have your flying technique down to second nature at this point, you might leave the board on the beach and if winds are side to side onshore, just practice body dragging. That will be a challenge all on its own in fairly light winds. You are right, if you want to fly on land, use a trainer otherwise, hit the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarShredd View Post
I'm a fairly new kiteboarder and just got a 12m Switchblade the other day. I'm of course itching to try it out but it's looking like wind's going to be a bit light this weekend for my kite. I was thinking about busting out my 6'6" (or my 6'2" if i can get away with it) surfboard to at least get a little time in on the water and was just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on if it'd be worth my while to drive out to the beach in winds around 8-10kts (I weigh around 200lbs).
I really want to just get some flying-time in with my kite and get used to it (I know performance will change with optimal winds, but I'd love to just get this thing in the air for the first time!) and don't really want to fly it on land for the obvious danger factor.
Any advice would be great!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-17-2009, 12:35 AM

Default be patient

Rick is right , be patient & wait for a good 12 knots at least. Otherwise dont bother it will be more frustrating then fun.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 AM

Good deal, I guess I'll pull the kite out and practice setup/launches and landings. If it's feeling ok I'll hop in the water and mess around a bit whether it be body-drags or with a board.