FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Something Rich And Strange ... Diving Tales From The Water Underworld
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 01-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Save The Reefs - Eat Tukka Lionfish Ceviche!!!

Swimming on an Atlantic reef near you, and that is the problem.

We were in the Caymans just before Christmas. My wife noticed lionfish ceviche on the menu at an East End restaurant, Tukka Restaurant & Bar while I was out kiteboarding with the Kitehouse. Tukka is within walking distance of Compass Pointe, the home of both the Kitehouse and the excellent diving operation, Ocean Frontiers.

The Tukka Restaurant is just down the coast a short way to the right or northeast of Compass Pointe.

Tukka is an Australian word, inspired by Chef Ron, who hails from Oz. It comes from the Outback meaning native food or food from the land.

Diving with Ocean Frontiers on a pinnacle at the Three Sisters sliding down into the Cayman Trench almost five miles down.

The deck of Tukka overlooking the waters inside the barrier reef encompassing East End.

I can recall being amazed to read that lionfish had been seen off Cayman, in single numbers, in 2007. There are a lot more of them now like so many other places in the Caribbean. They present some serious ecological concerns to naturally occurring fin fish and reef health. One solution is to eat them! Man is famous for depleting commercially desirable fish.

The Kitehouse on the flats inside the barrier reef off Tukka and East End

Anyway, I hadn't encountered the dish before elsewhere in the Caribbean and was intrigued by it. I stopped at Tukka to check it out.

and here is what arrived and the nice Caymanian lady who brought it!

I was astonished to find it delicious. The fish was mild, sweet and with the ceviche blend truly excellent! I was so impressed that I spoke with the waitress about the lionfish problem, the superlative ceviche and asked if I could obtain a copy of the recipe to pass on to areas impacted by the pest. How many restaurants do you think readily share their trade secrets? I believed the waitress called Chef Ron and he gave the nod to pass the secret ingredients of the Tukka Lionfish Ceviche on to me.

Quantities aren't provided but some unusual ingredients are. Sincere thanks for sharing this! For folks that aren't comfortable at cooking by feel, some proportions for ingredients in another type of ceviche appear at: http://www.familyoven.com/recipe/seafood-ceviche/304345

Please experiment and report back on how you do. MAKE sure you are careful handling and cleaning the lionfish, as all fins should be assumed to be venomous. Some cleaning suggestions by others appear in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLa_j4k0Oho

My wife loved lunch here and locals tell me the dinners here are excellent as well. If you're on Grand Cayman you should check the place out. The restaurant offers a unique selection of Australian and Caribbean dishes. Not only are they within walking distance of Compass Pointe, they also deliver meals there upon request.

Tukka Restaurant & Bar
Address: 878 Austin Conolly Drive
Colliers Bay, East End
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

Postal: P.O. Box 132, KY1-1801
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Web: www.tukka.ky Email: tukka@candw.ky
For reservations or further information, please phone
1+345+947 2700

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 01-18-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I just saw something on Tukka's Facebook page. Looks like the lionfish have well and truly moved into the Caymans, like most everywhere else in the Caribbean. Lucky us. It isn't just the number of lionfish but also look at the size.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi