FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-26-2007, 12:12 PM

Question Travel bag for kite gear

I'm thinking of traveling a lot this year with my kite gear...
A while ago stumbled into Paul Menta's recommendation about Army Duffle bags.

The ones that I found online are too short (36" - 50" long, which would fit 100-125 cm board).
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/prod...roductID=17942
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/prod...roductID=17934

My smallest board is 132, so apparently those two will be no good...

Does anyone know where I can find an Army Duffle which is long enough (say, 53 - 60")?..
Any other travel bag ideas will be much appreciated...

-Dennis

Last edited by Russky; 07-02-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:23 PM

Roy and I used the NSI Deceiver bags on our recent trip to Hawaii. We flew Delta. On the way over, we used curb side check in. The bags did not even get weighed, and they went on through without question. On our hop from Oahu to Kauai, they were weighed, but pushed through as golf bags. On the way home, the bags were weighed, and one was over by about 5 pounds, but they let it through anyway. When we used the kiosks to check in and get our boarding passes, we made sure to select that NO BAGS weighed more than 50lbs, before they were actually weighed. All in all, no problems, but that was only one trip so far......
My friend uses his army duffel bags, but finds that he can only fit his smaller boards. I don't know how big they make those things. Also,they can be a pain to carry, as they have no wheels!!
Old 09-26-2007, 01:59 PM

I use my army duffle bag for my 7m Warroo2 becouse BEST bags suck. I thought it would fit my 128 UG but its better for my kite. i get my army junk at cheaperthandirt.com. They ARE cheaper....than....dirt like the name. They also sell replacement parts for your AK-47, but those are hard to travel with.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:05 PM

Default russky

have man i have an nsi bag just loaned it to a friend who went to california this week should have it back early next week. when do you need it i will loan it to you for your trip. allen 727 420 0598 lets do some down winders this season together.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:30 PM

Thumbs up

Gotta admit, these "golf" bags are working like a charm in airports...
No questions asked whatsoever at check in.
Thanks again, Al!

-Dennis
Old 10-09-2007, 02:45 PM

also take into consideration that the golf style bags will have more padding than any other bag you get. the nsi is great. I fit 1 131x40 board, 3 kites and harness in for my trip to Hood River a while ago..

I wrapped the edges of the board in cardboard (heard some horror stories)..packed all 3 kites w/o their bages.. fit nicely.

weight is truly the big issue as I could have fit more, just had to keep it below 50 lbs.

and always use curbside and give the guy/gal helping you a nice tip and they wont give you any hassles..

tho my bag was searched both ways.. had a SEARCHED BY HOMELAND SECURITY sticker on it when i got to my destinations.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 10-09-2007, 03:02 PM

we used the Dakine Air Wagon when we flew to Mexico and it was a great bag but we got run thru the ringer big time. We were able to fit 2 big kites and 4 boards if i remember correctly, plus some clothing. Padded and has wheels but looked awefully funny sticking out both backseat windows on the ride from the airport in the little mexican car. That bag is huge! In Miami, they charged 55 bucks and made us get out of line so the bag could be searched. We told them it was "kites", but they weren't very happy when they found that bottom zipper that keeps the boards separate. We argued with them about how it was not a surfboard, blah blah but they charged us anyway. Same thing on the way back. So it ended up being 110 bucks and crappy wind. Dimitri Maramenides travels all around the world quite frequently and he says he's never had a problem and always tells people the boards are wakeboards. I think it depends a lot on who you get. We tried to tip the guys and everything but they were just not having it. Luck of the draw it seems.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:03 PM

Default curb check-in is the key........

I travel every week to some part of the US and often bring kites, surfboards, snowboards, motocross gear, etc. It is $50 bucks for every dimension that you do not meet. So if your bag is 50 pounds it's an extra 50, if it is also too long it's another 50. I always check my bags at the curb when I have something a little outside of the rules. It won't be free, but I usually drop the guy a $20 and rarely have had problems. Sometimes you get stuck, but most of the time it's smooth sailing.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:40 PM

I used the NSI Deceiver bag on my recent trip to Europe.
I flew US Aiways.
I had 2 kites, 1 harness, a 132 board, 2 wetsuit,1 pump, some personal clothes, etc...
They never weighed the bag.
It's written golf on the side ;-)
Easy to carry
I love it