FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 04-10-2006, 10:56 AM

I want to start by thanking everyone who was out at the Skyway yesterday who helped give me advice - you know who you are - Steve, Eagle, Mira, Scott, Raul, etc. - Sorry if I forgot anyone... I finally realized what I was doing wrong!!! I would either try to edge WAY too soon with TOO MUCH weight on my back foot, killing ALL of my power or I would point the board straight downwind and try to work the kite back up to the top of the window before edging ANY. I finally realized that if I pointed the board downwind until I got SOME power and edged just as I was finishing my power stroke and turning the kite back up through the power zone that the lines would tighten up and that would give the kite that little extra speed to get back to the top of the window faster, getting me powered up on the second stroke and easily riding!!! I CAN'T THANK YOU ALL ENOUGH FOR THE HELP, I AM STOKED ABOUT IT - YOU ALL KNOW THE FEELING...

I'm planning on an afternoon session at EB around 4:30 or 5:00 PM, give me a shout if the wind isn't cooperating out there...941-284-0477.

THANKS AGAIN ALL!!!! 8) :twisted:

You can't call me Mr. Green St. Pete anymore!!! :mrgreen: 8)
Old 04-10-2006, 11:26 AM

I'll be out there too toby... I'd give you a call, cept I've got no cell
Old 04-10-2006, 11:40 AM

Well Allllrrrrriiiiggghhhtttty then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to hear....I could tell on Saturday morning that you were just 1 or 2 more tries and you would be cruising good. Wish I could have been there on Sundayto see you stoken. I'll bring my camera agian next time...

Thanks for loaning me the 20.5 machine, ite rides great!!!! Sorry if there was any chug on the lines I tried to hack off to the side.....I guess while running a fever I should not have been riding.

Good to hear your up and going Toby.

Gary
Old 04-10-2006, 12:25 PM

No extra trace of your ralph on the lines that I could tell Gary...yeah, it was great seeing some progression on both Saturday and Sunday! The only buzz kill was that as soon as I was getting off of the water for the last time and landing my Machine, Bill Parker showed up and did just that...as usual he showed us ALL up!!! After seeing him ripping it up, I realized just how much of a baby step yesterday was...BUT IT WAS A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 12:55 PM

I remember vividly the first time I carved upwind and really held it. Amazing feeling.

This weekend was huge for me too as I finally got that "pop" feeling off the water and was able to boost a bit. Felt like I was flying.. but I am sure I was only a few feet off the water..

Where is everyone going this evening?? EB ?? SW? Lassing??
Old 04-10-2006, 01:17 PM

Great to hear that this weekend was great for you too Bryan!!! I'll be at EB around 4:45 or 5:00 PM. I saw a bunch of kites out at EB earlier when I went to the Skyway off of a tip that a board had been left there overnight. It turned out to belong to one of the doctors that ride... There were also several people riding at the Skyway when I went there around 1:00 PM. Hope to see you at EB this eve...
Old 04-10-2006, 05:26 PM

Today was an improvement for me...

Doing unhooked raleys, and almost landed a kiteloop...

The second one I tried was rather nasty though.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Skyway Scott

Another ramp up event occured tonight at 6pm. If there is still someone who hasn't noticed, these "all day Easts" almost always kick hard when it cools off with the sun going down. This can pose a problem for someone showing up and rigging after they get off of work. I usually play it safe if an east wind and approaching sunset by rigging smaller than what seems "necessary" at the moment.

Hopefully no one was on a 16m when it ramped to 30. Accuweather predicted the ramp and has it going to 40 (gusts) tonight. I wanted to do Lassing night session (just got off of work) but I won't ride at night in 40 :? Too bad, night sessions rock.

40 in the dark is just a little above my risk/reward level. Five years ago I landed on a Land Rover during a night session (25 to 30) at Tierra Verde when a jump carried me alot further than what my eyes thought was water :shock: To say the least, that hurt a little and left a dent :x
I try to not repeat such risky mistakes :idea:
Old 04-10-2006, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott
Another ramp up event occured tonight at 6pm. If there is still someone who hasn't noticed, these "all day Easts" almost always kick hard when it cools off with the sun going down. This can pose a problem for someone showing up and rigging after they get off of work. I usually play it safe if an east wind and approaching sunset by rigging smaller than what seems "necessary" at the moment.

Hopefully no one was on a 16m when it ramped to 30. Accuweather predicted the ramp and has it going to 40 (gusts) tonight. I wanted to do Lassing night session (just got off of work) but I won't ride at night in 40 :? Too bad, night sessions rock.

40 in the dark is just a little above my risk/reward level. Five years ago I landed on a Land Rover during a night session (25 to 30) at Tierra Verde when a jump carried me alot further than what my eyes thought was water :shock: To say the least, that hurt a little and left a dent :x
I try to not repeat such risky mistakes :idea:
i was on my 13, toby on his 20 meter machine when it ramped up, i got MADLY overpowerd, grabbed the micky mouse thing on the center lines to completly depower my kite, dropped it in the water grab the kite ran in and then ran back out to grab tobys kite out of the water. thankfully everyone was safe and i rigged my 7 meter and had an awesome short session on that

while i was riding my 7 i saw a good amount of kites going at the skyway, it seemed crowded, how was it?
Old 04-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Can't Re-member

I don't know how you called it Scott!?!?

10mph just barely cruising on a 16m xb then WHAM!!!!

30kts! rigged the 7m xb and had a great time! Barb loved her new octane, Matt was killin' it on his new 12m waroo, Eric was layin down some new kitty's and Billy schooled us again how to go big and look good

gonna be the same tomm. afternoon I bet