FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! *** > Central Florida Downwinder Race
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default NEW Distance Race Cocoa Beach - Vero

This in from AJ Morgan of http://kitetricity.com/:

"Hey Everyone,

I have heard from a lot of people, and they want to do this race. So "IT IS ON". There will be a pre-race party on March 20th at Lair's Pub located in Grant, Fl..(Bill's Marine on US1). There will be a 25.00 entrance fee for the race. Trophy's will be given at the end of the race for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd overall winners, a 1st only for Women, and a 1st only for over 40. There will be two weekends that this is going to happen from our end, March 21- 22 or March 28- 29. If there is no wind either weekend, then the entrance fees will be returned. You can pay by check at the pre-party. If no race takes place, then we will just tear up your check. If you pay the day of the race, cash only will be accepted. There will be a 72, 48 and 36-hour notice about the race giving you time to get ready for the race and get to the start line. The start line will be either in Cocoa Beach or Vero Beach. Either way, the race will encompass around 55 miles. Things are in the works to have a bus to take people back to their cars, after the race. It would be very wise to bring a cell phone and money in a water proof bag. A1A runs the length of the Race, so if anything happens, you can walk a block or so to the road and look for a ride to the nearest phone. The most important aspect that needs to be understood during this race is that, NO ONE is allowed in the Lifeguard area, and to stay far enough away from the Inlet and the Pier, which there is only one of each...Contact Me if you need to know more, if not, see you at the pre-party on Friday the 20th.

A.J. Morgan"

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

More details, maps, aerials and addresses SOON! I recall the distance is on the order of 55 miles from what AJ was saying.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

This just in from AJ:

"Hey Everyone..
Well it is looking good for this coming weekend. March 21st- 22th. The ikitesurf website is showing wind coming in from the N or NE, around 15 plus. So with this info so far, we are planning to start the Race at "Cherie Downs' in Cocoa Beach. We will still have the pre-race party at Liar's Pub Tiki Bar, at 3800 US1 Grant, Fl. around 7ish on Friday, March 20th. There will be a skippers meeting there, and also the day of the race, an hour before the start. This Skipper's Meeting is Mandatory before anyone goes downwind, not exception to this rule. Now we all know that the weather could change between now and this coming weekend, so this is just a "Heads-Up", per say, nothing else. Vero Beach will be the end of the race, and there will be a party afterwards at the Caribbean Court, which is across the street from the beach. They do have rooms to stay in for that evening, if you wish to book it now. "

It is way off in the future but NWS forecasts 15 to 20 kts. NE for the area. Hope it happens, would make it almost ideal.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

and this ...

"ust for those of you who might not have understood the last email regarding where the meetings are being held:

Meeting Friday night will be held at Liar's Pub in Grant.

Meeting Saturday (the day of the race) will be held at Cherie Downs.

Sorry for any confusion the prior email might have created.

If you have any questions, please email or call me directly"

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey AJ,

What issues does Patrick AFB pose to this downwinder? We don't want to cause any problems.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
Hey AJ,

What issues does Patrick AFB pose to this downwinder? We don't want to cause any problems.
I tried to get a hold of AJ via email on this last night, asked for input via email or on here with no reply then or now. I am concerned about possible problems with a kite ride by of Patrick AFB. I recall years back we had some issues with Air Police chasing down kiters riding near there. It would be good not to aggravate the situation with a mass of kiters going through their take off corridor with training flight touch and goes. At least without permission or some assurances from the base that this wouldn't be a problem.

AJ, this is your que to speak up. Tried to help get the word out about the race per your request but lacking further input on the situation, this segment of the race appears to be ill advised.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-17-2009, 04:26 PM

I hope it's not an issue. I understand that they down wind through this area quite frequently. It's such a short area, I wonder how far off the coast you need to be in this zone to be legal.

I can see that they don't want riders there all day, but given that the race start is just to the North, all riders would be through the area with in 30 minutes at the most.

I hope that this can be worked out.

On another note, if it can be worked out, AJ had better start pumping it now to get some interest. It's a pretty long drive to do so I'd like to see at least 50-60 riders there in order to make it fun.

Rick, is there any way you can toss up a poll to see how many riders are planning on attending? From my side, we have a good group coming, but only if there is going to be some good attendance, if not we will just do a fun down wind ride. Let me know. AJ WHERE ARE YOU???
Old 03-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I am still trying to find out how to setup a poll on here. Used to know how to do it on the last software package. Hope it is an option with the current setup.

Didn't you say guys regularly do downwinders off the airbase Kent? That is some pretty useful local info, as I've said my knowledge of issues in the area is years old. At that time there were problems heating up. It has been suggested running further offshore of the base. I think I was close to a mile off the south side of Lake Worth Inlet the 60 mile run before last to Ft. Lauderdale. It isn't that hard to do and could make a big difference in this case. Once again, this would be a great time for AJ to provide some input on his race. There is interest but there are also concerns, time for some information exchange.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

AJ just gave me a call with a summary of things. He spoke to various USCG, Air Force and related personal at five offices related to Patrick AFB and the area. He described the race, what is involved and verified there were no problems with the activity. All parties he spoke with said they didn't have a problem with the race going past the airbase baring landing there or loitering off the base.

AJ told me after the start he will drive down to the north area of the base where to the boardwalk and verify that kiters stay a reasonable distance off shore, several hundred yards or more and successfully get past the base. He will intercede with issues that arise but from current statements, there shouldn't be any.

This is AJ's deal, not mine, but it sounds like fun and seems to be ok with the authorities. NOTE: this doesn't mean it is OK to launch and kite off the base because it is not. Locals likely know this already from years past. He will provide a lot more detail in the party and Captains meeting.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-17-2009, 07:02 PM

Default Downwind Race

I was VERY concerned about the race crossing through PAB. I know that they do not want kiters there at all. I called A.J. and asked him about it. He seems to think it will be OK. But I am still very concerned about it. Especially since this is my backyard and not his.

Anyone participating in this race PLEASE STAY AS FAR OUT AS POSSIBLE! You do not want to be greeted by a helicopter and machine guns.

Also...It is SPRING BREAK. The beaches have been PACKED! I do not see how tons of riders are going to possibly launch from Cherie Down. We rode there today at like 3:00 and the beach was very crowded. The race is going to be on a weekend too! You couldn't possibly launch 40 kites there on a Saturday. Not to mention all the swimmers up and down the beach!!! PLEASE STAY FAR OFFSHORE IN COCOA BEACH if you do participate.

If you are in the Cocoa Beach area and need anything for the race...stop by the Ron Jon Surf School and check out the ONLY kite shop in the area by Good Breeze Kiteboarding. The Surf School is two blocks north of the main Ron Jon Shop behind the Pizza Hut. We are also doing a Kite, SUP and Surf Demos in the main Ron Jon Surf Shop on the next two Fridays (3/20 and 3/27) between 2-4. Ride safely and call me with any questions about Cocoa Beach.

Billy Bosch (386-235-9804)