FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-04-2006, 08:42 PM

Default WIND WIND WIND

Went for an afternoon run at commercial, the waves were a little rough getting start but go my best ride in today. Wind was awsome my 17m was really pulling fully depowered. I can't wait for more of this.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:58 PM

YeeHaaa ~ IT is FUNNNNNN to be riding powered up again !!

17m huh, Well you are a Big fella :lol:

Glad to hear you had one of your best days :thumbsup: There what keeps ya comming back :wink:

I'm 172lbs and was LIT on my 12m w/a 120 x 38cm . I had a killer session also @ Boynton Inlet~ South side. Crystal clear water, 2-4' windswell on the inside and outside with some wide open faces. Wind was NNE @ 17-20kts
Old 10-04-2006, 09:02 PM

Yeah Yeah, Hopefully I will be able to get upwind soon so I will not have to keep walking back. I spent most of the time fighting waves trying to get to my board and get it on my feet. But once I was up I was starting to get the edging down. I was able to ride a bit no problem. I am headed north to gainesville this weekend. If the wind keeps up I am going to hit tampa or Daytona to ride all day. Now I am really getting into it just need a bit more practice.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizGuru
Hopefully I will be able to get upwind soon so I will not have to keep walking back.

I spent most of the time fighting waves trying to get to my board and get it on my feet. But once I was up I was starting to get the edging down.

If the wind keeps up I am going to hit tampa or Daytona to ride all day.

Performing the "Walk" is all part of paying your dues and we ALL still have to pay every once and a while :wink:

Learning in Surf/Waves is difficult and pretty much when we have "Good" wind here in the East coast there are waves. But it won't be long before your using them to your advantage rather then fighting them.

I found the best place to learn/practice your up wind abillity and the most satisfaction with it to start was in "flat" water. Like the Keys or Tampa Bay I assume, I haven't kited there (Tampa) yet. But I'm planning a trip sometime in November.

Just keep putting your time in, It's already paying off :wink:
Old 10-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: WIND WIND WIND

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizGuru
Went for an afternoon run at commercial, the waves were a little rough getting start but go my best ride in today. Wind was awsome my 17m was really pulling fully depowered. I can't wait for more of this.
You might look to trim the kite on the pigtails for more or less power as conditions dictate. That is if you may be overpowered attach to the knot furtherest away from kite on the trailing edge pigtails (reducing the angle of attack). If you are underpowered you progressively move that attachment closer to the kite to increase the kite power (increasing the angle of attack). This is independent of anything you do on your trim strap.

Also, the closer it is to easterly winds particularly with waves the harder and more dangerous things will be particularly if you are staring out. Edging offshore, trying to deal with waves that flip you over and with powered conditions can be a bad combination. I would avoid easterly winds until you can manage all these factors. It took me years and I still eat it sometimes. If you lose it nearshore, which is easy to do, you can ram up the beach at speed.

I am starting to fall under the spell of nighttime powered kiting in the waves. Three nights in a row. Last night they were head high or better with over a 3/4 moon. You fall into a rhythm and just go for hours. Glorious!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-05-2006, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI
I am starting to fall under the spell of nighttime powered kiting in the waves. Three nights in a row. Last night they were head high or better with over a 3/4 moon. You fall into a rhythm and just go for hours. Glorious!

FANTASTIC isn't it :wink:
Old 10-05-2006, 09:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI

FANTASTIC isn't it :wink:
Truly surreal. I didn't want to come in. Then again there was my wife wondering and work today. Still, the rarity makes it even more worthwhile. I wonder if it will keep up tonight or fizzle out this afternoon? It sure has been a great week though!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 10-05-2006, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the advise Rick. It was NE edging more North. One thing I love about the Cabrihna Kite I bought is tap out. I Rode yesterday with Tab out on so If I lost control and drop the Bar it would Depower. I have been wating for a more solid north or South wind. Or wind to come on the weekend so I could hit the tiger tail or Bahia Honda and get some real practice in. Hopefully I can find wind this weekend. I always stay self and after everything I have heard I will not buy a kite without tap out or the instanst depower of the new bow kites. Can't wait to tear it up. Once again thanks for all the safety advise Rick.