FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJay View Post
Yeah! and don't borrow someones new board in 2001 and tell them u know how to ride. Ain't that right Scott! I guess u did know how to ride it... unfortunately all the way across the beach and road ;0)

Very funny stuff. Hey, I DID know how to ride.
I just didn't know how to stop! That was funny as hell, Jayson. A day I will never forget.
I still remember the board. A red LiteWave Dave. You have to admit, I went out of my way taking a back drag/beating to insure your board didn't get a scratch.

Don't hesitate to let me know when the next poker night is. Just don't deal Haus a 3 when I have AJ again, okay?
Old 06-20-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBrackins View Post
I did take 4 hours of lessons. I got right up on the board on my first try. Perhaps I advanced quicker than I should have before I mastered the basics. We didn't spend a lot of time on the launching as I got lucky the first few times and got the kite up with no problems.
It's true.. this is the worst possible time to get started. I'd recommend a kite trip somewhere with good wind and a respectable school. Cape Hatteras? Cabarete? A few more hours of lessons and then all the practice you need to get proficient before the winds finally pick up again in Florida.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Tom Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJay View Post
Yeah! and don't borrow someones new board in 2001 and tell them u know how to ride. Ain't that right Scott! I guess u did know how to ride it... unfortunately all the way across the beach and road ;0)
LOL I heard that story. Classic!
Old 06-20-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch44 View Post
It's true.. this is the worst possible time to get started.
That's what everyone at Sunset beach has told me....And that's fine with me....Even if I wanted to start up right now I couldn't do to the recent move so by the time the winds are back and it's the right time to train I will have the money to be able to do this and do this right.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:02 PM

It may not be the best time of year for kiting, but there's still plenty of stuff to practice on all summer long.
I have gotten 5 or 6 people in the last week comfortable rigging,flying, launching/landing, simulated water start, etc. in 10 knots or less. I don't do the water part of the lesson in the Gulf, but they have something to chew on while waiting for good wind. Once its here, they are ready to body drag and water start and every one of them knows the self rescue procedure, even before hitting the water.
After doing these "beach lessons", they can fly the kite pretty well and thier comprehension of what they are reading is also WAY up, because they have experienced handling/flying the kite firsthand. They understand sheeting in and out and its effect on steering, and stalling the kite. Light wind is better for this and there's no immediate danger as long as its a safe location.

Please remember that when practicing on the Gulf beaches- even at 100' offshore, your kite will crash right on the beach users and swimmers. If you are practicing body drags and water starts in the Gulf, please go outside the swim buoys. The safety discussion at the cookout will cover this and other safety tips.
Some might say I posted this to make $$$, but its quite the contrary. I have more lessons than I will ever be able to do, and not asking for a per hour fee. (A 20 knot day when I am really itching to ride might cost ya though! (haha)
I have been meeting up with students at Treasure Island (101st) and going through the basics. Come and check it out to see if you learn something at no charge. If you feel like you did, then you may donate whatever to TBKA. If not, no worries.... At least you got to fly a kite and are learning safely.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:11 PM

yes Tom, i was referring to it hindenburging. thanks for clearing it up. In gusty light winds your kite can definitely do some unexpected things.

its a very helpful and useful group of riders in this area. Just remember to respect people's objections and suggestions. We are very lucky to be able to play in an area with few restrictions and we'd like to keep it that way.

Anyone that disregards this will be approached hopefully in a respectful manner and please take their suggestions to heart. This is not meant to be mean but as a means of preserving our access. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the beach eventually!