FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > HOW TO START, Kiteboarding Training & Schools > HOW TO START ...
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-07-2004, 12:53 PM

Default Trainer Kite

I took my first lesson last friday. I was only able to learn to fly the kite, the wind died out so I was not able to get in the water. I flew a 3m and a 4m and I was just about to launch a 9m Cabrinha Access when the wind died. I will not be getting back anywhere close to a school again until next summer. I am thinking about getting a trainer to fly and get better at flying the kite until then.

I have been looking at the Blade III in a 4-5m range. What do you guys think. Should I be looking for a different type of kite? The reason I am looking at this size is because here In Birmingham Al the wind is not all that strong and I weigh around 230 lb.

Any help would be great.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:53 PM

Default Trainer Kite

I took my first lesson last friday. I was only able to learn to fly the kite, the wind died out so I was not able to get in the water. I flew a 3m and a 4m and I was just about to launch a 9m Cabrinha Access when the wind died. I will not be getting back anywhere close to a school again until next summer. I am thinking about getting a trainer to fly and get better at flying the kite until then.

I have been looking at the Blade III in a 4-5m range. What do you guys think. Should I be looking for a different type of kite? The reason I am looking at this size is because here In Birmingham Al the wind is not all that strong and I weigh around 230 lb.

Any help would be great.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Trainer Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pappa

Any help would be great.
Sorry to hear the wind died out, weather dependent sports!

Anyway, the Blade III is a good ram air kite, I bought a Blade II 6.4 m for snow kiteboarding a while back. Still, it is a fairly expensive option for a trainer (foil), kite. The idea behind the trainer foil kites is to hone kite handling skills to make them more second nature. Kite power generally doesn't come into consideration for foil trainers. The foil trainers are quite light and need little wind to fly as a rule. You should be able to find a new trainer for around $100.

I wouldn't recommend a Blade III for a beginner water traction kite say for body dragging for a couple of reasons. A big one is that there are no ram intake valves. If you drop it on the water particularly if you are new, that is where it is likely to stay. Secondly, at 230 lbs. you would need a substantially larger foil than 4 to 5 m for body dragging particularly in lighter winds.

Is there any possibility of your doing a road trip to a school, say in the Florida Panhandle, St. Aug. or even Corpus Christi for some more lessons?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-07-2004, 10:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Trainer Kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pappa

Any help would be great.
Sorry to hear the wind died out, weather dependent sports!

Anyway, the Blade III is a good ram air kite, I bought a Blade II 6.4 m for snow kiteboarding a while back. Still, it is a fairly expensive option for a trainer (foil), kite. The idea behind the trainer foil kites is to hone kite handling skills to make them more second nature. Kite power generally doesn't come into consideration for foil trainers. The foil trainers are quite light and need little wind to fly as a rule. You should be able to find a new trainer for around $100.

I wouldn't recommend a Blade III for a beginner water traction kite say for body dragging for a couple of reasons. A big one is that there are no ram intake valves. If you drop it on the water particularly if you are new, that is where it is likely to stay. Secondly, at 230 lbs. you would need a substantially larger foil than 4 to 5 m for body dragging particularly in lighter winds.

Is there any possibility of your doing a road trip to a school, say in the Florida Panhandle, St. Aug. or even Corpus Christi for some more lessons?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 09-08-2004, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was not really looking at body draging with this kite, I was mainly looking at the 4m just to have a little power to play with when flying on land. Also maybe the possability of some slow land boarding in higher winds.

Destin is where I was last week when I took my lessons. I do not know if I will be able to get anywhere before spring or summer. We are expecting our first child in December and the wife is a little clingy.

What kite would you recommend for what I am looking to do?

Great news about the new addition to your family!

Regarding trainer kites, it has been a long time for me but I think the Slingshot B2 is popular and for land traction the Ozone kites have a strong following as well. http://www.flyozone.com/ozkites/kframe.htm
http://sskiteboarding.com/2004/website/index.html

There are many other suitable trainer kites on the market of course, these are just some starting ideas.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was not really looking at body draging with this kite, I was mainly looking at the 4m just to have a little power to play with when flying on land. Also maybe the possability of some slow land boarding in higher winds.

Destin is where I was last week when I took my lessons. I do not know if I will be able to get anywhere before spring or summer. We are expecting our first child in December and the wife is a little clingy.

What kite would you recommend for what I am looking to do?

Great news about the new addition to your family!

Regarding trainer kites, it has been a long time for me but I think the Slingshot B2 is popular and for land traction the Ozone kites have a strong following as well. http://www.flyozone.com/ozkites/kframe.htm
http://sskiteboarding.com/2004/website/index.html

There are many other suitable trainer kites on the market of course, these are just some starting ideas.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:53 PM

Default Destin Curious

I was wondering where you took lessons in Destin. I get over there three or four times a year, and will be moving to Pensacola early next year.
I want to find someone to take lessons with as soon as I can.
I have lots of experience with stunt kites but none with kiteboarding.

Is it safe to asume that any large foil would help with kite experience until such time as I can get to a trainer?

TJay
Old 11-22-2004, 08:53 PM

Default Destin Curious

I was wondering where you took lessons in Destin. I get over there three or four times a year, and will be moving to Pensacola early next year.

Is it safe to asume that any large foil would help with kite experience until such time as I can get to a trainer?

TJay
Old 11-25-2004, 05:44 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Destin Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay

TJay
I would PM RushMarkRush for info on the area.

Most trainer kites are small foils, less than 3 m typically. So don't feel you have to have something larger for learning on land. It only increases your cost and potential risk on land if something goes wrong.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-25-2004, 05:44 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Destin Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay

TJay
I would PM RushMarkRush for info on the area.

Most trainer kites are small foils, less than 3 m typically. So don't feel you have to have something larger for learning on land. It only increases your cost and potential risk on land if something goes wrong.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi