FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-10-2007, 07:59 AM

Default New to Delray, Where to Ride in W?

Hey all, my parents just moved down to Delray (what a beautiful place). I'll be visiting them often to escape the harsh CT winters. I can only take so many sessions with a 6 mil wetsuit and 3 mil gloves. I've walked the beach and seen where people ride when the winds out of the NNE - SSE, but havent seen any good launches for W winds. Any local riders care to share what the sweet spots are for W winds? How often is the wind out of the W, when I was down there last it didnt seem to happen very much at all? Thanks for the help and hope to see you out on the water soon.

- Chris
Old 12-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Welcome to Florida. There is no west wind launch in Delray or much of a good one in Palm Beach or Broward Counties. Your best bet would be to take a sea taxi out to the Miami Flats down south. Some guys like to do a longer road trip to the SW coast to but the winds can actually be better, for locals anyway, right off Miami. The next larger riding area useable in a west wind is way to the north at the SW quadrant of Sebastian Inlet. They Keys also offer lots of west wind riding venues. For whatever reason, much to the loss of kiters along the west coast of Florida, stronger west winds usually quite common have been in short supply so far this winter.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
stronger west winds usually quite common have been in short supply so far this winter

I would further elaborate that to say, They have been in no supply
Old 12-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR View Post
I would further elaborate that to say, They have been in no supply
Sorry for that Raul. It is perplexing, damn annoying is more like it for you folks. I can recall some winters with almost no strong cold fronts, summers without thermals, no west winds joins the list. Must have something to do with the drought. Hope it changes soon.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Can't Re-member

La Nina,

it moves the jet stream to the north, hence no west-moving cold front winds as the fronts move in from the north instead and set up high pressure system in the carolina's which further block the west moving fronts. high pressure in the carolina's/ hatterras is good for southeast FL people as it sets up east winds. good for you guys.

unfortunately the drought is another consequence, it hasn't rained here in over a month either
Old 12-10-2007, 09:37 AM

Thanks a bunch for the local knowledge. You guys arent alone when it comes to weak fall/winter winds. We've been pretty calm up here in CT too.