FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 11-27-2015, 08:23 PM

Default Help narrowing down your 1350mi of riding

Hi,

Next year at this time, I would like to treat myself to a couple of months of kitesurfing in Florida. I would like to do a couple of months sometime between say November and March but most preferably for the months of January and February. If I list my demands below, can you help narrow it down for me?

1) Where would the best winds be during this time of year?
2) I prefer ocean over chop or flat water.
3) Somewhere within 2 hours of a major airport.
4) Some culture or things to do besides kitesurfing as my wife does not kiteboard.

My wife and I are visiting Miami and The Keys in February 2016. I've been. She hasn't. So we may have some time to pre-explore any recommendations at that time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 11-27-2015, 09:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

The best winds may be in the Keys given the normal higher pressure gradient across that area. It can equate to about 3 to 5 mph over the mainland. There is little in the way of waves in the Keys as you know being mainly flat water or close to it. Still, in a normal winter, there is plenty of good wind to go around for pretty much all of Florida. "In theory, in a normal year" hitting Florida in Jan. and Feb. should have some pretty good wind at times. There has been some variability in recent years, hence the quotes.

If you are coming down for as much as 8 weeks, I would do a road trip. You might range as far north as St. Augustine on the east coast, nice waves up that way with an interesting historic town when you're off the water and for your wife. The wind can be quite good up that way as well. You will need a nice wetsuit, even dry suit depending on preference and typical time in the water. You could run down the east coast hitting Cocoa Beach, Sebastian Inlet, Ft. Pierce, kite beach in Jupiter, there are still more spots further south. As you will be here for a chunk of time, I would visit the west coast, St. Pete area. There are spots that are rideable from all directions there but westerly winds would be best. Our wind often, but not always, clocks from SW to W to NW with the passage of seasonal cold fronts (where it may hang for a few days along with a pronounced temperature drop). This would be nice time for the west coast as westerly wind spots are few on the east coast (they do exist however). You could do NE and Central Florida then shoot across to St. Pete or vis versa depending on wind conditions. As you head further south from Jupiter, conditions will become more crowded with more restrictions on kiting access. Still, you might want to checkout some of the SE Florida spots to round out your visit like West Palm Beach (north of the lifeguarded beach), Delray Beach (about 500 ft. south of the lifeguarded beach), Pompano Beach (NE 15 St.), even Miami to Matheson Hammock and Crandon Park.

Alternatively, if you would rather spend the entire time in one area, something I wouldn't usually do myself preferring variety, the Keys provide a nice option (without waves), Jupiter is nice as long as you are used to good sized waves, St. Augustine can be cooler but the wind and waves can be fine there. If it is one of those times of consistent westerly winds, you could even stay near St. Pete beach. If you have questions, fire away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceRacer View Post
Hi,

Next year at this time, I would like to treat myself to a couple of months of kitesurfing in Florida. I would like to do a couple of months sometime between say November and March but most preferably for the months of January and February. If I list my demands below, can you help narrow it down for me?

1) Where would the best winds be during this time of year?
2) I prefer ocean over chop or flat water.
3) Somewhere within 2 hours of a major airport.
4) Some culture or things to do besides kitesurfing as my wife does not kiteboard.

My wife and I are visiting Miami and The Keys in February 2016. I've been. She hasn't. So we may have some time to pre-explore any recommendations at that time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-28-2015, 09:48 AM

Hi Rick,

Thanks so much for all the info! You guys are lucky to live in such a diversified kiteboarding area. I think you're right. No need to lock ourselves into one area. Sounds like a much better plan would be to explore it for ourselves. Guess I can spend the next year pimping out an Airstream!

I will save this in my file for when we come down.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 11-29-2015, 08:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

You are welcome Paul. When the wind and waves are on, Florida does offer a great deal of variety. I think you are smart to visit several areas conditions willing.

Have a good trip!

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceRacer View Post
Hi Rick,

Thanks so much for all the info! You guys are lucky to live in such a diversified kiteboarding area. I think you're right. No need to lock ourselves into one area. Sounds like a much better plan would be to explore it for ourselves. Guess I can spend the next year pimping out an Airstream!

I will save this in my file for when we come down.

Thanks,

Paul

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi