FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-14-2006, 04:50 PM
ruffridah89

Default THURSDAY (Hobie Beach Issues)

Good day for Thursday. about 14-19 knts, SSW to SW winds later on during the day. (More at www.windguru.com) Is SSW good for matheson hammocks, or should I go to Crandon Beach, or Hobie Beach?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 83. South wind between 11 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph.

Wednesday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers after 1am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 73. South wind between 13 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Thursday: A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, then becoming mostly sunny during the afternoon, with a high near 82. South wind between 11 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Thursday Night: Scattered showers, mainly before 1am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 66. North wind between 9 and 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 77. North wind around 14 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 64. North wind around 14 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 73. North wind around 11 mph.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 64. North wind between 11 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph.

-Danny
Old 11-14-2006, 06:39 PM

im planning to be at crandon at 8am on thursday...
Old 11-14-2006, 06:48 PM
ruffridah89

Im not so sure about that. SSW winds are not the right winds for crandon North Beach. MAYBE, for Crandon Marina, which is just weird location.
Im going out to the bay on Thursday as well. Not so sure which place in Key Biscayne Island.
Check this out.
http://miamikiteboarding.com/map.htm
-Danny
Old 11-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: THURSDAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiar2000
Good day for Thursday. about 14-19 knts, SSW to SW winds later on during the day. (More at www.windguru.com) Is SSW good for matheson hammocks, or should I go to Crandon Beach, or Hobie Beach?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 83. South wind between 11 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph.

Wednesday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers after 1am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 73. South wind between 13 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Thursday: A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, then becoming mostly sunny during the afternoon, with a high near 82. South wind between 11 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Thursday Night: Scattered showers, mainly before 1am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 66. North wind between 9 and 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 77. North wind around 14 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 64. North wind around 14 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 73. North wind around 11 mph.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 64. North wind between 11 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph.

-Danny
Best place without question is the Flats! Pretend you want to go diving, will you settle for dead, nearshore sea grass, lousy visibility, i.e. crap? Or, do you want to checkout a primo wreck in excellent visibility loaded with fish? A boat makes the difference for good diving in many areas and the same applies to Miami kiting. Check it out on a good west wind day, you may not want to go back to the crowded beach launches.

Anyway, IF you work far enough to the east at Matheson, SSW may work. Otherwise, there's is Hobie, warts, hazards and all. The wind will be gusty in both locations due to land effects and perhaps squalls too.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-14-2006, 09:58 PM
ruffridah89

Flats all the way!
If only I had a private jet with my name on it. If only. Come to think of it, having your own jet is kind of dangerous. Look at what happened to the Yankee Pitcher just a month ago.
ANYWAY, SSW will work on Matheson? Isn't that offshore winds? Come to think of it, is it possible for someone to ride offshore? Pretty hard stuff. That person 'oughta be the best in upwind or else!
Now Hobie, its possible, though I've never rode over there. Anything to expect..........?
BY THE WAY PEOPLE, TUESDAY IS LOOKING RIDEABLE. CLEAR SKIES, KICKASS WINDS.
-Danny
Old 11-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Lots of guys take dive charter boats at some time or another, most divers in fact. That is students to executives, unemployed, lots of guys. Why, because it's worth it. As a rule, dive charters cost a lot more than a trip to the Flats for a day. If you don't dive this may not sink in. If you do, perhaps it might.

I am talking more than safety here too. The quality of the wind when out of the west is cleaner, less gusty, the water clearer. It can be an incredible experience.

Before you discount the safety considerations totally at Hobie, you might think over that I saw one of those guys fly within 15 ft. of me before doing a $1000. plus damage to a car. He was OK, amazing. Another guy that was carted off to the hospital for a few days is a friend. Finally, the girl that was lofted there into timber pilings doing internal injury to kidneys, etc. screamed loud and long while bleeding profusely with the pain of it to the shock and dismay of those around her. ALL of these accidents and several other incidents happened in SW winds. Hobie can be a dangerous launch, believe it.

By the way, SSW is sideshore relative to the eastern part of Matheson. Still, it is not an ideal direction for this launch. Staying over shallow areas that you can walk in beyond the buoys would be a good idea if you decide to bother with Matheson.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-15-2006, 06:17 AM

Thursday morning will be a south wind...side shore for crandon....at matheson at 6am its high tide...im not driving my car though 1 foot of salt water...not worth it...

I dont belive any of the Taxis are going to go out either thursday morning or afternoon...you save water taxi for a really good day not a 12-14mph...that and you need to get a group of at least 4 people or there be already 4 people signed up right?....a taxi is not going to go out for 1 person... by the way i scuba dive so so going on dive boats is not new to me...
Old 11-15-2006, 06:27 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEsco48
Thursday morning will be a south wind...side shore for crandon....at matheson at 6am its high tide...im not driving my car though 1 foot of salt water...not worth it...

I dont belive any of the Taxis are going to go out either thursday morning or afternoon...you save water taxi for a really good day not a 12-14mph...that and you need to get a group of at least 4 people or there be already 4 people signed up right?....a taxi is not going to go out for 1 person... by the way i scuba dive...
Good points. Hopefully with demand the availability will go up even on lighter weekdays and the price down. Today there are only two operations that I know about (The Kitehouse, Miamikiteboarding.com), by early December three (Hatteras Kiteboarding). In time, who knows how many. All of Miami Beach is technically banned, Crandon is supposed to hover around a 25 rider cap at any time, Rickenbacker Cswy. is supposed to eventually be closed to all beach traffic, Matheson Hammock gets crowded. It is good to have options for calm, flat water conditions with good wind (often stronger than nearshore), that don't involve driving out of the area.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-15-2006, 07:09 AM

The Kite Shop on the key should have their water taxi working by now...have not been to the shop in like a month so im not sure...
Old 11-15-2006, 07:32 AM
ruffridah89

their website is still not up. Are they even running?