FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 01-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by damion_dark View Post
oh yeah, how many kiters can we expect to see out there?

If the biggest craziest kitesurfing competition you've been to was a 10 on a scale from 1-10, what would this be?

Please excuse my bluntness, I'm just not familiar with competitions.
Look over the past event write ups to get a feel for how this event stacks up.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Here's the latest forecast out of NWS for Jupiter south to Deerfield (Jupiter is on the line of two marine forecast zones):

Friday...West winds 5 to 10 knots becoming 15 to 20 knots. Near shore...seas 2 to 3 feet. Well offshore...seas 2 feet or less building to 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Showers likely.

Friday Night...North winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet near shore and up to 6 to 8 feet in the gulf stream. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of light showers.

Saturday...North winds 20 to 25 knots becoming 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet near shore and up to 7 to 9 feet in the gulf stream. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Saturday Night...Northeast winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet near shore and up to 6 to 8 feet in the gulf stream. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Sunday...East winds 10 to 15 knots. Near shore...seas 2 to 3 feet. In the gulf stream...seas 5 to 7 feet subsiding to 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Sunday Night...Southeast winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick....y=52&site=mfl
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick....y=39&site=mfl

So, sounds like it might be a day for Standup Paddle Surfing tomorrow from the south zone forecast. With the north zone, there may be useable nice wind by tomorrow afternoon. Have to wait and see what wx is delivered. Beyond these forecasts, useable wind will come unexpectedly at times. Also, it may be wet at times, perhaps in the morning, then again, they've predicted near 80 % rain chance at times in the past with no wet stuff falling, have to see what comes. Neil has been working up all sorts of ingenious Standup events, what this about pungie standup with the last rider still up winning the day?

Honking wind all night and into the day on Saturday, 20 to 25 N or near sideshore should boost up the waves and provide some nice wind for the heats. It is good it is supposed to start before dawn, saves waiting. The high is supposed to be 62 on Saturday btw with sunny wx. It is supposed to ease at some point during the day, lets hope late. It is supposed to be 10 to 15 kt. on Sunday but the event has been run in this sort of wind before. So be of good cheer, also should have waves remaining from Saturday still coming through.

All in all, the forecast is for a fun weekend, fingers crossed and enjoy!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 01-29-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 PM

Default Invasion

Heres my guess N side shore 20knts 2:30 pm Friday
Old 01-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsedave View Post
Heres my guess N side shore 20knts 2:30 pm Friday
I like your prediction better than NWS for the Jupiter and south zone! Hope you're right.

Here's another prediction supporting that outcome, from NWS for the Jupiter and north to Sebastian Inlet:

Friday...Northwest winds 5 to 10 knots becoming north 20 to 25 knots in the afternoon. Seas 3 to 4 feet. Rough on the intracoastal waters. Showers likely in the morning...then chance of showers in the afternoon.

Friday Night...Northwest winds 20 to 25 knots diminishing to 15 to 20 knots after midnight. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Rough on the intracoastal waters.

Saturday...North winds 15 to 20 knots diminishing to 10 knots in the afternoon. Seas 6 to 8 feet. Choppy on the intracoastal waters.

Saturday Night...North winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. A light chop on the intracoastal waters.

Sunday...Northeast winds 5 to 10 knots becoming southeast 10 knots in the afternoon. Seas 3 to 4 feet. A light chop on the intracoastal waters.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick....y=16&site=mfl

As Jupiter is in the middle, the wx may fall in the middle of the north and south zones too. Then again ...

Looks like a ton of fun in any case.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-30-2009, 04:42 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

The forecast is still evolving, best bet is to show up on time today, ready for standup or perhaps useable wind. The timing of the frontal passage and resulting wind shift to the north is uncertain and differs between the Jupiter and north zone;
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick....y=10&site=mfl

and the Jupiter and south zone:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick....y=66&site=mfl

Additional info at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6734

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 01-30-2009 at 04:58 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:21 AM
damion_dark

Thanks for answering all my questions. My bad again. Yeah I don't think I'll be kiting in conditions like that. The pictures are great though. Especially the panoramic ones! Looks like tis going to be a fun event. I will definitly be there. I also found a link on here to that video of that guy dimitri hitting a house in midair. OUCH! That was crazy!!!! Those are some really good forecast tools too in the link. Much more accurate than weather underground. Thanks dude.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

You're welcome, yes it is a good thing Dimitri came through that impact largely in one piece.

Just got an update from Jeremy at the Invasion. The wind came up nicely side shore for a while around noon, so they got some kiting events off. The wind shifted back close to side to side off pending the swing to the north. So, they're running standup events. Also, the waves are building, yeeha! If the forecast holds, tomorrow should be epic! You can see what may be 4 ft. perhaps a bit higher clean swells developing near Jupiter Inlet on the livecam. The wet leading edge of the front seems to have passed seaward of Jupiter, allowing things to dry up. http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6734

Have fun out there folks

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

great day! 20 - 25 for the first half plus nice waves. must have run over 30 heats. quality riding at all levels. photos soon. more action sunday.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 01-31-2009, 10:26 PM

You call that a great day:shock:

For freaks sake man you guys are insane to ride in that stuff. Do you go home and strap yourself to the wall and take 10 lashings just to finish it off?

You guys definitely impress me. Much different then Im used to.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Look at some of the past events, there are dozens of images. Today was pretty mild by comparison to some years. The guys did well.

Here are some early shots out of about a 1000 today:

Jon riding easy

Damo flys along

Cameron pops one

Passing along

Stacey eases into a nice one

Lots more to come from today and there is still Sunday's riding ahead.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi