FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Memory Lane

What's going on? What's going on? Not a damn thing! Thought it might be fun to dig into memory lane and recall your most memorable session from last season 06/07..........

Took the family to St. Augustine early spring 07. Never had been, and wanted to check out the sights. Very cool town, great restaurants, and just one of the best vibes in Florida. Brought the kites just in case.....well on our last day we woke up to some 25+ winds and I rushed the family out and headed to Extreme Kites for some local tips. They sent me to the Mantazas inlet. Tide was perfect, wind was solid, and I just hoped some other locals were there. After a short ride on the sand, we arrived at the inlet to some serious overhead waves on the outside a smooth texture on the inside of the inlet. The best of both worlds. Only two guys out and my stomach was in twists. Pumped up a 9M Omega and proceeded to head out into the big surf. I think if I had my straps any tighter my toes would have fallen off. With each tack, I headed closer and closer to the outside break which was much bigger than it looked from the beach. Isn't that always the case??? There was a guy on a Flexi throwin down some great moves. I just wanted to come out in one piece. I was missing my wingman Gabe, but as the session unfolded I became more and more comfortable in this kitesurfing paradise. I still remember a hollar from within when I reached what I consider the best session of the season for me. This was a session I had always envisioned the day I began to learn this sport....and it finally was a reality. It would have only been topped had I had a few buds to share it with.

Thanks Extreme Kites for the excellent advice and local knowledge....and I would definately consider a trip back on a strong N'Easter. Plenty of cheap hotels and cheap eats as well. Lots to do if the winds are calm.

Your turn!!!!!!!!!!