FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > HOW TO START, Kiteboarding Training & Schools > HOW TO START ...
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-27-2006, 01:39 PM

Default Best board to learn and progress on?

I took my lessons on a Slingshot Fuel 15 and a 190cm very floaty board (I can't remember the brand or style, but my guess is the manufacturer only sells them to schools) on a day when it was blowing about 16-19 mph. I was able to waterstart and ride that board on my first try with the board during my lesson. Of course the instructor was kneeling in the water in front of me holding the board steady while I dove the kite.

I'm a 6' tall male that weighs 165 lbs. After getting up on that board on the first try and riding away a good distance on my good side, I fell in love with this sport. I immediately bought some equipment that, given my windsurfing and snowboarding experience, the instructor/salesman thought was appropriate for me. It was a North Vegas 14 (2005) and a North Dragon 138 board. I love the kite (a little difficult to water re-launch sometimes), but I'm afraid I may have gone too small on the board, even though it is classified as a light wind board. I have gone out on it in overpowered conditions (19-21mph) once and had no problem getting up on it. But in 13-16 mph conditions (which should be ideal conditions for this kite for a novice), I can't seem to do anything but round up on it the second I get up, which kills the kites power and lowers me back into the water.

I didn't want to get a "really big" board since I thought I would outgrow it almost immediately. Now however I find myself going nowhere in my learning curve and I'm wondering if that would change if I bit the bullet and just bought a much bigger board. I'm thinking in the 160-162cm range. The North Sumo 162 (2006) board seems like it may have been a better choice for me, but at $599-649, it seems like a waste to get a board that I'll never use again once I get over the hump and it all clicks.

Any suggestions? Should I just keep trying to progress more on the 138, or is that a hopeless cause? If so, what board might be a good alternative? I was also thinking maybe the Jimmy Lewis III in the 145cm, but it seems too close in size to my 138. Any help on what board others have used to get them from a beginner to the next level would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Skyway Scott

This is a very interesting topic to me, personally.
It's just my opinion, but I feel the new "phatty" shape/size boards are going to really kill it in the coming years because they are great to learn on and they are simply a blast! in 12 to 17 knots (or higher). Lots of kiting companies will be releasing "phatties" this year and I am pumped to try a few. They are boards you don't outgrow but really speed up the learning curve, imo. I love mine.

Check out the 666Ext in this flash presentation with Mark Shinn. Give him a minute before the choices load. He explains it well.

http://www.nobileboardtour.com/Final.html

I will never forget my first ride on a similar board made by G.S. at Aggression -- the Super Phatty. It was awesome. A light wind board that felt like a small one. I think more are soon to come, including this 666 model.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:49 PM

Default Thanks Scott.

Even though the length of the 666EXT (143cm) is not that much longer than my 138, do you think that the extra width (48cm) versus the Dragon 138 (41cm) makes the difference?
Old 09-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Skyway Scott

All the difference in the world.

I heard somewhere (may not be scientific fact, but the point holds)
that every cm in width is equal to 8cm in length.

It sure feels like it!! Yeah, the extra width makes a huge difference in ability to plane and get going in the light stuff. Thing is, the SP doesn't feel big at all, especially in the air. And once it fills in, you don't have to hop off, if you don't want to. It's still fun in 20, not unruly.
I hope all the new Phattie models are as good as Aggression's.

Maybe Wolfie or Kuds or someone who demoed the SP will hop on here and comment. Or A-bomb about his Exile.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:28 AM

I agree with Scott - the new wide "phatties" are great. Everybody is releasing something like that too. Lots of distributors call them "Florida boards" .... hmmm, wonder why ; )

Another point: I remember riding my old Litewave 169 back when that was considered a normal size. I never had any problems with that because we didn't really have anything else to use. Point is, you can use a big board as long as the kite isn't over powering you. It's crazy to think I was riding that board when it was gusting to 30! I've definitely settled on my favorite size (around 132x37), but don't be afraid of using a bigger board when the conditions lighten up.

One more thing: if you're rounding up in the lighter stuff, remember to bear off the wind to get up your apparent wind and board speed before trying to edge upwind. You may not need a bigger board at all.

Larry
Old 10-04-2006, 11:20 AM

For heavier riders The Spleen 159 or 164....PERIOD

see reviews and discussion at

http://www.airpadrekiteboarding.com/...wforum.php?f=2

I've taught lot of lessons on these boards and ride them now for my personal enjoyment. The Lightwave 169 used to be my top choice as a learning board, however mst people would outgrow the LW169 quickly, whereas the 159 Door is such a versatile board that you will never outgrow it. The 164 is a bit wider and may have some limitations on performance and maneuverability, unless you are a really big guy..

IMHO most boards wider than 42 tend to be very bouncy. The flex dynamics and outline shape of the spleene overcome these issues.

good luck.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Skyway Scott

All boards offer advantages. I just got done riding all morning in 15 to 25 on the SP in waves on an 11m kite. I could have easily been on a smaller board, but I was screaming upwind so easily to do mini-downwinders in the waves, that I rode the SP. I am in the minority, but I stick with that board unless it is really nuking. It was very easy to hold it down, even in chop/waves. I just can't "let go" of going upwind literally at will. With the hybrids its becoming plain disgusting how easily you can go "wherever"

No matter what board you get, please insure it doesn't blow away. :wink: :shock:

http://www.extremekiteskiteboarding....378&highlight=
Old 10-12-2006, 08:06 AM

Thanks very much Larry, Roberto and Scott. Very useful information from all of you.

Larry, I certainly like your tip to keep me from rounding up right away. I think I would automatically do that since it felt like I had to to keep good tension on the kite lines. One of the top guys at the spot I ride commented that he thought I wasn't diving the kite aggressively enough to produce the power that I needed to get started and continue riding without sinking back down. When you have taken a few "over-the-handlebars" wipeouts, like I have before, it makes you a little bit leary of diving the kite too aggressively. With a 14 meter kite, there's a fine line between too aggressive and aggressive enough.

Roberto, the Spleene 159 (I am 165 lbs or 75kg) sounds like something I may resort to if I still can't get going on my North Dragon 138, which I will try one more time while forcing myself to dive the kite more aggressively and keeping the board pointed downwind until I have some speed.

By the way, Jeff Hoxtell is a great guy! I spent three days with him. Unfortunately I chose to do it in early February when Mother Nature was not very kind (either nuclear conditions the first afternoon, followed by 0-6 mph conditions, with one day in the 8-12mph range which allowed me to get used to my own kite and his larger board a little bit). I don't think there's a nicer guy to hang with for 3 days. He and his wife made me feel like a close family friend.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:28 PM

northvegas,

Yep, Jeff & Patty are two of the nicest people around for certain. Hopefully you can get back to SPI in the future....March thru June rules for awesome thermal winds, warm water and air.

keep at it!
Old 03-16-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Best Boards for 07

I am very new to the sport and getting ready to start lessons this weekend. I was curious to hear some updated feedback on best boards to start on. I am about 6'3" and 150 lbs and would be mainly around the Skyway and St Pete area.