FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-22-2007, 02:53 PM

i think the bands could work but definitely need work and agreement. However, i think the reverse colors would be better like a traffic light. If you see a red rider you should watch out and look both ways. A yellow...stay a safe distance and use caution but not a hazard. Green bands mean you can sail thru being confident that the green rider is a competent and safe rider.

The part about the downwinder makes sense but i don't think most of our safety issues exist with downwinders. its with crowded launches with hazards. these would only need to be posted at the major launches in the area. (EB,skyway,lassing,PAG? etc)

The tags on the board would identify the rider and the kite they were flying. When you arrive, you walk (don't need to be every 300 feet) to the board, check in and see people's info. and add your own. When you come in to take a break (every couple hours or so) you take another look at the board if you notice a lot of different/new kiters on the water since you started.

Another feature that we used at the harbor i worked at in the keys was to write weather forecasts for that day and possibly the next. Just like in boating, if its windy, they put out small craft advisories. If it is gusty and possibly hazardous wind, we can point that out on the boards so that when people arrive they have suggestions. such as "very gusty, onshore wind...not recommended for green riders".

Just throwing out thoughts as well...
Old 08-22-2007, 03:40 PM
popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
However, i think the reverse colors would be better like a traffic light. If you see a red rider you should watch out and look both ways. A yellow...stay a safe distance and use caution but not a hazard. Green bands mean you can sail thru being confident that the green rider is a competent and safe rider.

The part about the downwinder makes sense but i don't think most of our safety issues exist with downwinders. its with crowded launches with hazards. these would only need to be posted at the major launches in the area. (EB,skyway,lassing,PAG? etc)

The tags on the board would identify the rider and the kite they were flying. When you arrive, you walk (don't need to be every 300 feet) to the board, check in and see people's info. and add your own. When you come in to take a break (every couple hours or so) you take another look at the board if you notice a lot of different/new kiters on the water since you started.

Another feature that we used at the harbor i worked at in the keys was to write weather forecasts for that day and possibly the next. Just like in boating, if its windy, they put out small craft advisories. If it is gusty and possibly hazardous wind, we can point that out on the boards so that when people arrive they have suggestions. such as "very gusty, onshore wind...not recommended for green riders".

Just throwing out thoughts as well...
Good ideas, but maybe a bit too hopeful at this point. We are struggling to even get people to park in the right place.

I understand the board idea... I've used it while racing r/c cars, kart racing, r/c flying events, etc.

But, when you look at the board and it says "Mike, beginner, green waroo" and you look out on the beach and see 15 green waroos, it's not very helpful.

On the water, forget it. Half the time I can't even remember the names and faces of people I've met a dozen times already, much less Mike on a green waroo, or the 30 other people who are on the board I can't read from the water.

In kart racing, a beginner usually has a white X on the back of his helmet. This tells other drivers to avoid him like the plague and give him plenty of space while passing.

It seems to me the arm bands are probably the easiest solution so far. You can almost always see a rider's wrists... even while they are body dragging.

But, since we won't know who the beginners are going to be, the only way we can do it is to wear one if we are NOT a beginner.

If you're not wearing a band, you're either a beginner, not a local, or just not familiar with how things are being done now and someone should walk up and ask you some questions and give you a band if you need one.

It's like the "hey, u guys know me and know I can ride" club... either you're in it, or you are not.

If Stevil wants to do a skills checkout for beginners before they get a band, that's fine with me.....

Hell I'll be the first one to wear the band too, I don't care. I'll sleep with it on
if I need to remember to wear it.

We'll need one in rainbow for E-Bone.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:45 PM

i'd love to hear others' ideas about this topic... I agree the board is being hopefull but it an idea that we can keep in the back of our heads for future reference.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:01 PM

I like the band idea. There's no way I'm going to go out and spend the money to get certified just so I can have someone launch for me. I almost always have someone with me whom launches my kite anyways...

But really, what will we do if someone doesn't have a band?

Just talk to them?

What if they blow you off?

You've gotta at least try enforcing what we already have (buddy system) before throwing money and added ideas to the problem.

Before launching ANYONE you don't know, how about assuming they don't know what they're doing. Ask them how long they've been kiting for and even just test them on some hand signals before you do.

Problem solved without any wristbands.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:55 PM

Like in many things I think keeping it simple is better. After some reflection, I’d suggest using just two colors. Green for competent self-sufficient rider and above, red for volunteer mentor/monitor. Those without bands would be those still learning and requiring close supervision at difficult launch sites, and also newcomers. A sign could be posted along the lines of, Kiteboarders, this is an intermediate to advanced riding site, please talk to a kiter with a red wrist band for more information. Then some disclaimer of liability. The Red bander could then issue a green band upon demonstration of skills or suggest alternate launches or lessons. Anyone without a band would end up getting approached so often they would want to get a band, and there is no color that carries a weenie stigma. I think just super fat rubber bands would do, you can't find them just any place and it keeps the cost down so when I forget mine I can beg Scott for another without feeling guilty.

Bob
Old 08-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Can't Re-member

Make it simplest of all , wear a ribbon on your kite to say you are a local + proficient <> not have one , you are a beginner / non local.

If anybody wants to step up to talk to non ribbon people then they are welcome

P.S. I prefer kite ribbons b/c thats what I'm focused on, how close their kite is to me; what their kites are doing; I really don't pay too much attention to boards or the people on them just the closest 5-7 kites to me ; that'd be soo cool that I would also attach whistles to my kite to add to the effect as it does a kite loop
Old 08-22-2007, 07:09 PM

I like the way Tom views the matter. You can't really make people identify themselves as a something less-than-average. Nobody would be willing to do that. The idea is that without having the band they will be doing it to themselves. This idea of a band is feasible. If enough of us join in on it....those without the bands will just want to be "in the club" so to speak. It would also make the kiting scene look more organized to park officials, police/emt, and so forth when they notice some sort of a system that's been enacted. It will legitimize us and look as though we are actually taking steps to ensure the safety of our riders. For the rebels out there...We won't be able to keep them off the water, simply due to the fact that we have no authority. What can be done is a simple conversation to those without bands and give them advise on what they should or shouldn't do. If they choose to ride, at least we all know to stay the hell away from them. I would think after being approached time and time again for not having the band that person would eventually make the effort to find one. Obviously there would need to be more than one person dishing out the bands. Maybe people from our little fksa community that ride the most and in certain spots to make sure the bands get out to the most people. There's a few of us that are always on the water when there is wind....it could be done.

if it's something like a ribbon on a kite rather than a band that's fine too.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:14 PM

Hello y'all,
Sorry I haven't had a chance to read the last 4 pages of this novel so if I overlap anyone please dont take it personally.
What happened last week was very unfortunate. Hopefully the rider will recover quickly. After recently suffering a bad injury myself I can relate.
I agree that there needs to be a "policing" of ourselves.It can be done formally or informally. My opinion is that the best way is to post permenent signs at each congested riding area (I think Toby mentioned this).
Granted, to some this may seem like it will cause alarm but I think it, more importantly, shows that the Tampa Bay kitesurfing community cares and is taking action to educate and protect the riders and bystanders.

IT IS ABSOUTELY NECESSARY THAT WE POLICE OURSELVES, BUT I THINK IT IS JUST AS IMPORTANT TO HAVE THE "POLICE" ON OUR SIDE.

Please check out the thread that I am starting "ST PETE KITESURFING POLITICS" to see how we can guarantee that kitesurfing will NEVER be banned in TampaBay.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:26 PM
popeye

I do agree that getting organized is not going to draw negative attention. If we ask for a sign to be posted, they will either be impressed, or just not care at all.

One thing is certain, we have to do SOMETHING, and we have to stick to it.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:36 PM

People don't follow traffic signs...why would they follow one of ours? Signs are only good if they are enforceable, which ours is not. If noobs want to ride they're gonna ride. They don't realize their skill level. It took me 3months of riding before I was self-sufficient and would even show my face to you guys at our launches. New riders are going straight to the skyway after the lesson. WE need to police it...not a sign. The police could care less about us putting a sign up. Unfortunately, nobody follows the signs they put up.