FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-18-2009, 11:48 AM

Default Anybody try the Kahoona

I know everybody has their favorite brands, and many hate Best, but I just wanted to know opinions of the Kahoona.

I'm going to the Cook Islands at the end of October, and their should be decent wind. 15-25 Knots. Sometimes less. I've been thinking about a new smaller kite and was thinking about the 11.5 Kahoona. It's a delta, so it appears to have a wide widn range, potentially allowing me to take only one kite. Obviously there's no guarantee on that. I'd like to keep my luggage weight down since I'll be on 3 different airlines.
Any good or bad opinions. I'm a novice kiter, so an easy to use forgiving kite is more important than one that I can loop

Last edited by LSUkiter; 09-18-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:46 PM

the 9.5 would be perfect for that wind range assuming you are average weight. the kahoonas have tons of low end, super easy kite to fly, packs small and light. if you think it will be steadily over 20 you might want the 7.5 too.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 09-18-2009, 05:02 PM

Unfortunately, I'm above average weight. But it's just so I stay warm in the upcoming Winter season. I've read the reviews that say it's a very user-friendly kite. I'm most concerned about the low-end over the high-end. I'm not likely to go out when it's blowing 25 knots at this point. Then again, I hear the Kahoona's really got crazy depower, so it may make me a little more daring. I'm basically looking to cover wind from about 13 knots to 20 knots. I think anything less than 15 knots at my 195 is pushing it on the kahoona, but I think I've got a shot at making it my all-around kite on the trip. I could bring 2 kites, but I'm planning on loading the golf bag with some dive equipment too.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:05 PM

I edited the post. I wrote 9.5 Kahoona, but meant 11.5.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUkiter View Post
I edited the post. I wrote 9.5 Kahoona, but meant 11.5.
sorry, i have not tried the 11.5 or 13.5 yet, but eager to do so
rvillate@msn.com
Old 09-19-2009, 01:43 AM

I tried Big Al's 11.5 back to back with my 13m Waroo on a day it was about 13 to maybe 18 knots.

The Kahoona was definitely user friendly, very fast turning, low bar pressure, easy relaunch. I think it's low end was pretty good, maybe close to the 13m 'roo. I felt it jumped just so-so (if jumping big a large priority), not nearly as powered up as the 13m Waroo.

Loops on it didn't generate hardly any pull, good in some scenarios.
I don't think you would get blown off the 11.5 in the low 20's.
I also am pretty confident you could ride the 13 roo up to low 20s.
Hopefully Al can add his 2 cents.

Hope that helps a little. (Scott)
Old 09-19-2009, 06:09 AM

At the same time, I'm looking to replace my older 11m Waroo. SOunds like the 11.5 in a delta is closer to a 13.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:15 AM

Pretty sure that is the case for the low end, after riding the 11.5 back to back with the 13 Waroo. It's a different feeling for both kites. The KH gets you going and are powered up, but it has less of a grunty feel.
But, the top end is prol'ly about the the same for the 11 'roo and the 11.5 KH. Al-kite-ah might hop on here eventually and give more info. He is prol'ly the best one to nail this one, since he has most sizes in all Best stuff and is about your weight.

Can't go wrong with the Kahoona, most likely. No need to get the KH bar. Sizing is always the tricky part. The lighter you are, the easier to pick sizes, imo. A feather weight can ride lighter wind (obviously) with a kite, and (if has strong legs) can hold down quite a bit on the high end. Not that riding overpowered is a good idea, because it isn't, but light weights have it easier when picking sizes, imo.

Do you have a big "equalizer" board yet? That's the real key in making a big guy have a great time in light wind or sticking to just one kite from 12 to 20, if you wanted to. Big G got a nice light wind board a while back and figured that one out.

I actually went almost a full year on nothing but a 9m from 10 knots to 30, by switching boards out, just to do it.
No problemo riding upwind in 10 on a surfboard.
That would be simply impossible 6 years ago, btw. Amazing how good (all) kites are these days. I can't even fully express the difference. I believe 90% of kiters today would quit if forced to ride 01 gear. It was pretty crappy.
We'd also have so many incidents at EB it wouldn't even be funny.
ahh... but that's not a reality and I got off topic.......

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 09-19-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:30 AM

Definitely have the boards under control. I have a typical size all-around board, and a flightdeck for the light stuff. That was my plan to bring 2 boards and 1 kite. Only problem is ev ery little ding makes you want to cry with that board because its always a gash instead of a ding.
No on the kahoona bar? I've read 50/50 one yes or no on the bar. I thought you'd have to adjust your line length significantly for the kahoona to work right on a Best bar
Old 09-19-2009, 10:19 AM

I use the Waroo bar. DO not like the Redline bar personally (no stopper, no centerline grab handles, too long of a throw for my riding style, do not like the additional line thru the bar)

Note: The Kahoona will not fully depower with the Waroo bar (unless you lengthen your centerline and re-tune everything else), the Kahoona needs a longer centerline throw to 100% depower.

Minor mod to use Waroo bar...replace pulley pigtails with +1" pigtail...and in some cases not even that is necessary. Fly the kite first and see if you need the pigtails...worse case scenario is you will be slightly underpowered with the supplied pigtails...if so, lengthen them.

Surpirsed to hear that the 11.5 does not have low end...the 7.5 and 9.5 have TONS of it. I definitely need to try the 11.5 and 13.5. Had a chance but it was too windy (20+) for either of those sizes (for me)
rvillate@msn.com