FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-19-2006, 03:08 PM

Default turbo diiesel or crossbow?

I am trying to figure out the kite to get for my wife who is learning. I want a bow kite that water relaunches easily, is nice and stable at neutral, and is going to last several seasons. She doesn't need a kite that is geared toward advanced maneuvers-just light to moderate wind cruising. I iniitally bought her a flexifoil Atom on a recommendation but it is rather difficult to relaunch and is squirrely in terms of stability. I am a bit unsure about the slingshot since it is discontinued but they are available for a great price and as long as it will meet her needs I don't see the point in spending all the extra $$ Any opinions?
Old 11-19-2006, 03:16 PM

i'd go with the crossbow.. great learning kite.. VERY stable.. really easy to relaunch, just grab an outside line and pull in.. or for me always works when i just turn the bar and it flips up and goes.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:56 PM

Try a Waroo. The 07 is very stable and practically relaunches itself. You can't beat the price and if it disappoints send it back no questions asked for 30 days. The Cabs are nice but kind of spendy and they are having some real LE seam problems this year. If you want to go SS wait till they get the bridal sorted out on the link A last thought, you might talk to Scott about the Ozone instinct. He got one for Donna and he could have gotten anything on the market.

Bob
Old 11-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Skyway Scott

The Instinct is a great kite for people who already know how to ride. It won't water relaunch any easier than the Atom (which in my view relaunches pretty easily). Thing is, I am comparing it to alot of kites from now and the past.

Nothing is going to relaunch as easy as a Cabrinha probably. They are silly easy.

That 12m Atom is a great kite. I have one of those too, and Donna and I take turns on that or the 11 Instinct in 15 to 20. I also have a Cabrinha.

Yesterday's winds at backside skyway were literally as bad as it could get, imo. Has Wendy had other days on that kite and not liked it? If yesterday was the first day on it, I can promise you any kite would have felt like crap out there.... it was crappy!! :evil: I don't even think a cabby would have gone up very easily out there yesterday. I know I wouldn't have wanted to take a bet that I could relaunch mine 5 times in a row in less than 3 minutes each time. :wink:
Old 11-19-2006, 04:04 PM

i disagree with the waroo.. i've always seen thoes kites fluttering around and looking VERY unstable... but may be wrong.. i only rode an 06.. haven't rode the new ones. IMO

I haven't heard of any seam problems?? where did you hear this?
Old 11-19-2006, 05:11 PM

It was a topic on kiteforum for a long time. Some long time Cab fliers were disappointed in the warantee service.

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2333374

I think they are good kites and it will all get sorted out. I wish I could afford one for light wind days.

Bob
Old 11-19-2006, 05:37 PM

You should look for 06 Crossbow. They ROCK. Those kites changed alot of riders lifes for the better. Down side no one pump. Upside You ride well under control......Shaka
Old 11-20-2006, 07:34 AM

Default Turbo

Hi, I have flown both the Turbo Diesel 16 and the Crossbow 16. I currently own the 16 Turbo Diesel but if I have gotten a chance to fly a Crossbow before I bought my TD I would most likely purchased that kite if it was the same price. The turbo is a very heavy duty kite, actually too heavy duty which hurts to the performace of the kite. The crossbow turns much faster, easier to kiteloop, and has more juice than a TD. The water relaunch is the same on the TD and the crossbow. I love the Slingshot bar over the Crowwbow bar. The Crossbow bar just has too much crap on it, and I dont like how the depower works on it. The Slingshot bar is simple and to the point. A lot of people actually just buy that TD bar and put them on other kites cause they love them so much. Oh yeah if you buy a TD, much sure you tune the kite. Long story short I would buy a Crossbow if the price is the same, but if you can get TD for a few hundrend buck cheaper i would just go with the TD then.

Oh yeah make sure you tune the TD if you get one. I have a few friend that got that kite and they all had to shorten there back lines. For some reason the kite has too much backline which causes the kite to be very unstable in light winds. After shortening my back lines the kite is very stable now.