FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-31-2007, 11:04 PM

As a beginner I'm reading all this and living my kitemare all over again from this past Dec. 31st. (read my post from Lessons from the Hard Side.) My rig corkscrewed upon launch and I got to know Ann's Beach up close and personal (face first)
It spooked the hell out of me and I haven't gone out since. I've been planning to retake my lessons (heavy on safety) but haven't had the time. I really want to get back out but "Not Yet". Hell I don't know.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:07 AM

Default Launching & Landing

Thanks for the story Rick. I just want to mention one more thing. I have seen over and over again Experienced kiters Launching & Landing towards the Parking lot or Beach. No matter how much room you do or do not have it is always a good idea to land or Launch OVER the Water/ Why is that i see Kiters coming in and Landing with the kite facing west. There are always two sides to the edge of the window. I always walk up and lay the kite down at the edge over the WATER . The same goes true for launching..I have seen experienced Kiters asking for a launch and standing in the water with the kite at the edge facing land. Go to the other edge and launch over the water that way if anything goes wrong you might have some extra time to recover or punch out.

Ride on....Jeff
Old 06-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Yes, I see inland launching all too often even with experienced kiters. Shit happens and sometimes getting dragged out to sea vs. into dunes, buildings trees, etc. is decided solely by which direction you launch.

BTW, if your lines are crossed (something we all have ready control in avoiding) you may be dragged inland vs. offshore if launching with your kite towards the water. This is NOT a good reason to launch with your kite facing inland however if you prep properly.

Moral: For most beaches it may be best to launch your kite towards the water, better over the water AFTER careful preflighting (by kiter and assistant during launch).

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi