FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Kite Events And Competitions > *** Past KB Events! ***
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Jupiter To Ft. Laud. Race 2007 !!!

"Hi all,

Well it's that time of year again, windy in Florida. Time to ride, compete and race. So far this season on the East coast has been epic with many days above 25 and some swells that have been second to none.

It's time to make history again. Last year we had the longest downwind race, this year we will duplicate it and I would love to see the largest race. My goal is 100+ kiters racing for 60 miles from Jupiter to Tiki Beach!
So pass the word out to anyone that is not on this list, but please let be known this is not a walk in the park, very life threatening and definitely not for an average kiter.

The web site is up check out http://www.xratedkiteboarding.com/xtreme/ things are still loading now but should be complete by the morning. There is only a few changes in the rules:

1. If you pull out for any reason you must call me immediately so I can account for you.
2. Carry $150 in cash in case of a long cab ride.
3. Anyone inside a designated swim are will be disqualified immediately, this year each life guard has my cell phone # and will call at any violation with a kite color and type.
4. There will be a new e-mail list of all people registered. Updated rules and conditions will be mailled to this group only. Via this e-mail there will be a 72 hr notice for stand by and a 36 hr notice to start.
5. http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27 will also be our official public forum for updates and questions.

The kick off part this year will be at the new Evolve Watersports in Fort Laudredale, formally know as Waterpaly on Saturday the 8th of December with the first possible race day on the 9th.

To sign up for the race YOU MUST fill out the registration form and liability waive and fax or e-mail it back to me BEFORE the 8th (fax# 954-524-1103). Pay the entrance fee is $50 cash only, NO LATER than opening party evening. I assure you all proceeds will go back into the race i.e. T-shirts, trophies, party food and dink, prize money. Prize money will be determined by how many entrances we have.

So I hope to see you on the 8th at if not sooner and if you have any questions feel free to call my cell at 954-647-7228 or e-mail me here.
See you at the new Evolve on the 8th. Lets get it on and make history again!

Cheers Neil"

Last edited by ricki; 11-27-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:49 AM

Come on Rick...don't hold back! Give the when, where’s, and what’s. If it's the Jup to FTL event, I bet we get 75 plus racers.

It isn't looking too good for the Naples race this year. I just haven't seen too much NW wind, and when it does come, NW never lasts too long. This might have been too much to ask for. Are the organizers going to extent into December? This could work given that Jup to Ftl needs N to NE and Naples needs NW to W. I can't wait to hear.

Looking at the locations of these events, it seems as though locations like Tampa have a huge advantage given the potential to start from two different venues depending wind direction.

I personally would also like to see one event where the racers start in say...Ft. Lauderdale (Neil) and finish in say... Ft. Lauderdale (Neil). Racers would race upwind (about 7 miles) and then off the wind and finish through the original starting line. The total race would only be 14 miles, but given the upwind tacking the race would last about 1 hr for the winners. Given that we don't have the same relationships with the YC's here in FL as the guys do in SF Bay, this would be an easy way for organizers to give East coast riders course racing skills with out having to run the events like regattas.

In the long run, upwind races will help us to make equipment that is far more efficient. This will boad well for us S. Fla riders in the summer. With my current race equipment I can ride my 12 in winds under 11 mph and ride well up wind. There is going to be tons of development for this emerging race class in the coming season. We can't let the "left coasters" leave us behind.

Kent
Old 11-26-2007, 08:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I'll wait to hear more from Neil before confirming things. The guy is to be commended for thinking about putting on this great event again.

In a "normal" year there are quite a few good NW frontal days. Then again with the drought in the SE so much for a normal year. Bet the stronger NW winds will cook off soon though likely in December and beyond at this point. What is plan B Enrique for moving beyond November?

Your idea of a roundtrip race is a good one Kent. It does take more seamanship than just a balls to the wall downwind race. I like to do roundwinders just for fun and they save figuring out how to get back to your car or walking on water in the case of Alligator Light. I just pulled a couple of posts from years back on roundwinders back up to the top in Kiter Buzz.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM

i really like the round the alligator race as well. i have raced windsurfers around the light house at least 6 times. i think that i have more second place finishes than any other windsurfer! actually Gebi beat me about 4 years ago in a very close race. he actually blew out his back in the race and then went to the world down under and had to withdraw from the event. kind of made me feel good!

on kites the race would be awesome! i would assume that if you had 3 days in jan that you would get the right conditions at some point. what do you think?

Kent
Old 11-26-2007, 09:44 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Sounds like a good idea and potentially fairly easy to put on. Just started a new thread just for it.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi