FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Bahamian Kiteboarding Forum
Connect with Facebook

Old 06-13-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Wow...i feel like im getting robbed.

I dont know who saw the damge done to my kite when ther baldder blew but it wasnt that bad. Aboun a foot and a half separation/tear along the seam of the leading edge. No damage on the canopy. And can anyone guess how much phillips charged me for that $165!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE HELL THATS ALMOST $10 AND INCH....!!! IS IT JUST ME OR DID I GET RIPPED OFF.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:29 PM

it sounds like it but you are not the only one. One time the shop quoted me a 65 usd job and when I went there to pick up my kite they asked me 210 usd. After complaining I got away with 175 if I remember correctly.

AJ, you think we can find a decent used sewing machine for cheap ? I wouldn't mind trying.....I have a lot of material to try on !!

I'm sorry Brooke but I felt the same way Robbie did.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:00 PM

Default yea man I can sew

I have enough space in my shed for a little sail loft,
I think we could put in for a second hand machine,lets have a look on ebay I have a friend that is coming over by sea and we could put it on that and save on shipping and just pay duty when it comes in.
we need something with a long arm on it so the kite can fit through it.
and by the way I can sew , I used to do all of the sail repairs on the americas cup boats ( the old tourist NZL 10 and NZL 12 that are here)that I used to sail, and my mum used to make wedding dresses and taught me how to sew when I was a kid.
piece of cake.
oh and by the way I'm to to proud of knowing how to sew but knew it would come in handy one day.
lets have a look at philps machines and then check ebay.
sorry brooke can't afford ya dad any more we should have done this a long time ago.
aj
Old 06-13-2007, 09:05 PM

Thumbs down nearly forgot

roby d I think you got ripped.
I had a canopy repair done there on a friends kite from harbor island ,philips charged me $50.
a friend from exuma hailed me with a repair on his 10m smaller tear on one of the end panels ,mid way on the kite(easy to get to)philips charged me $70 and it was easyer than the one I had done a few weeks before.

aj
Old 06-13-2007, 10:16 PM

AJ, I emailed you a while back, coming down in September on a cruise and wanted to hook up to get some riding in. If you guys need to have the machine shipped to my place and have me pack it in my luggage, I'd be more than happy to. Those prices are through the roof!!! I have a guy up here in St. Petersburg, FL who fixed a rather large "L" shaped tear in my canopy near the LE on a brand new Thruster, MINT job by the way, you can't tell it was even repaired unless I point it out for guess how much...$25!!!

Let me know if you want my address for shipping. Otherwise, see you in September Bro!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 09:47 AM

Talking

10 bucks and inch,,, i know many girls who would pay that !
Old 06-14-2007, 09:56 AM

Default lets find one

we need to find one( the correct machine) and then we will be working out the shipping,thanks toby I hope the wind gods are smiling on us when you come down.
if there is no wind I'll show you arround anyway, your coming down on a cruise ship right?
so has any1 got any idears on what sewing machine we need?
and a rough price?
aj
Old 06-14-2007, 10:03 AM

contact any sailmakers and they might be able to hook you up
Old 06-14-2007, 10:18 AM

Yep, I'll be on a Cruise ship and noone is praying for wind for you guys in September more than me!!! PM me if you need my address for the sewing machine deal. I'll definitely take you up on showing us around if there is no wind, much appreciated my friend! Hope to meet you all in September, looks like you guys have a bunch of cool locals down there!
Old 06-14-2007, 12:09 PM

Smile yea man

we have a good scean .
we have our up's and downs,ego flare ups and chest puffing,
but as soon as there is wind it seems to settle.
I feel like I'm trying to promote the Bahamas as a kiteboarding destination singlehandedly , mabe thats one of my many crosses to bare.
anyways it's all cool, just give me a hail before you come down and I'll be there to get you, if I can't make it I will ask roby d to step in for me.(awsome dude great rider and knows the island well.)
The only dates I will not be here in sept is from the 6th to the 12th because I will be in DR .
I have a freind in key largo that has a sail loft I'm going to give him a hail and see what the best not so $$$ machine will be for the job we need it for.

Aj Watson