FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-12-2004, 12:42 PM

Default South FloriMarine Forecast for Sunday:GUSTS UP TO GALE FORCE

Wind looks for Sunday. However, I am a little concerned about the "GUSTS UP TO GALE FORCE".

What does everyone think?

.SUNDAY...WINDS NORTHEAST 20 TO 25 KNOTS WITH GUSTS UP TO GALE FORCE
LATE. SEAS 7 TO 9 FEET BUILDING TO 9 TO 11 FEET IN THE EVENING.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS ROUGH IN EXPOSED AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:42 PM

Default South FloriMarine Forecast for Sunday:GUSTS UP TO GALE FORCE

Wind looks for Sunday. However, I am a little concerned about the "GUSTS UP TO GALE FORCE".

Old 11-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: South FloriMarine Forecast for Sunday:GUSTS UP TO GALE F

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLKiter

Yeah, I read that on my phone over lunch. I had to confirm what "gale force" was in kts. we see it here so rarely.

"GALE WARNING
Is defined as sustained winds within the range 39-54 miles an hour (34-47 knots) either predicted or occurring. NOTE: Gale warnings are not normally issued during tropical cyclone situations."

That means a forecast wind range of 20 to 25 kt. gusting to 34 kt.+

So, lets say you are OK in 20 kts. with one sized kite, say an 11 m. What would you fly in STABLE, SUSTAINED WINDS OF 38 kts.+, a 4 or 5 m? How do you convert or compensate for excess kite area and FORCE when it gusts from 20 kts. to 38 kts. +?

That is a tough one and can be a demanding task for highly skilled kiteboarders. Even some of those may slam in under such conditions every once in a while.

We had five fatalities in the last month. At least three and perhaps four of those happened in EXCESSIVELY GUSTY conditions. If we could ask these men what they would do, if they had it to do over again. I wonder what they would say?

Alex C. had his severe injury a year ago this month in excessively gusty winds. I wouldn't leave a lot to chance in the stronger winds.

For anyone short of advanced kiters I would say sit this one out. For the rest, think it over carefully and make your choices well. A lot could be riding on this one.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: South FloriMarine Forecast for Sunday:GUSTS UP TO GALE F

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLKiter

Yeah, I read that on my phone over lunch. I had to confirm what "gale force" was in kts. we see it here so rarely.

"GALE WARNING
Is defined as sustained winds within the range 39-54 miles an hour (34-47 knots) either predicted or occurring. NOTE: Gale warnings are not normally issued during tropical cyclone situations."

That means a forecast wind range of 20 to 25 kt. gusting to 34 kt.+

So, lets say you are OK in 20 kts. with one sized kite, say an 11 m. What would you fly in STABLE, SUSTAINED WINDS OF 38 kts.+, a 4 or 5 m? How do you convert or compensate for excess kite area and FORCE when it gusts from 20 kts. to 38 kts. +?

That is a tough one and can be a demanding task for highly skilled kiteboarders. Even some of those may slam in under such conditions every once in a while.

We had five fatalities in the last month. At least three and perhaps four of those happened in EXCESSIVELY GUSTY conditions. If we could ask these men what they would do, if they had it to do over again. I wonder what they would say?

Alex C. had his severe injury a year ago this month in excessively gusty winds. I wouldn't leave a lot to chance in the stronger winds.

For anyone short of advanced kiters I would say sit this one out. For the rest, think it over carefully and make your choices well. A lot could be riding on this one.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi