FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > KITEBOARDING AT ... launches, precautions, SCHOOLS, SHOPS, meets, local groups and more > Northeast Florida
Connect with Facebook

Old 07-07-2008, 06:49 AM

Default Kitesurfing around Orlando

Hi all,

My apologies if this 's not the right place for this kind of post.

Otherwise, I'm from France & 'll be visiting relatives in Orlando this coming August. I've been kitesurfing quite frequently since 2001.

I've several questions which 're :

1. Would there be any chance to kitesurf somewhere near to Orlando during this period ?

2. What would be the nearest spots to Orlando ?

3. Are there any 'administrative' requirements to kitesurf at these spots ?

4. If I bring just one C-type kite & board 122cmx37cm, what would be the recommended kite size ?

Thx in advance for any reply

Chanh
Old 07-07-2008, 07:21 AM
Can't Re-member

Chanh,

1. Chances are no, unless there is a hurricane or tropical storm , and these are still iffy

2. Cocoa bch, Melbourne or St Petersburg or Daytona bch

3. No requirements, but they will be very crowded with beachgoers so common sense applies

4. for a 122x37cm board during that time you will likely need a 30m kite, unless there is a tropical storm WHICH COMES NEARBY which is impossible to predict

your best option is to surf or SUP IMHO
Old 07-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

BigR has it right, August is normally our lightest wind month of the year with the least amount of useable wind. There may or may not be useable wind from tropical systems coming through. Just because a storm system has wind like a depression or hurricane, doesn't mean it is "useable" however, i.e. too much (10 kts. to 70 kts.+), too suddenly, direction shifts, lightning, etc..

You may find thermal winds perhaps in the Tampa Bay area or further north in the St. Augustine area, possibly in the Cocoa Beach area. The problem with thermal winds is that they are poorly forecast, not reliable from one day to the next and can occur in a limited section of coastline. This is typical weather, this year has not been so typical and yet right now it sure feels like a normal summer, not much wind in other words.

Your board is good for higher winds but this time of year guys are often on the largest boards they can find, often not readily flown by commercial jet without excess charges.

There is lots to do in Florida in August, unfortunately kiteboarding conditions are not great at that time. If you really want to grab some quality wind time, depending on when you are coming in August, you could consider a side trip down in the Caribbean to a wind destination, Aruba, Margarita, etc.. Their wind can turn off in August as well however.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi