FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > Session Report!
Connect with Facebook

Old 09-23-2011, 12:49 PM

Default Visiting Jupiter, any advice appreciated!

Hi,

apologies if this is not in the right section, the goegraphy of Florida is not a strong point of mine!

I'm from the UK and am visiting Jupiter in about 3 weeks time with work. I've heard it's very good, but I've got a few questions like:

Is it the right season right now? Do I need a wetsuit?

What sizes of kites do you use (I have 7, 9 and 13 hybrid-Cs)?

What are the typical conditions, err, do you have any contacts for Jupiter?

As a bit of background, I started kite-surfing back in about '99 (red f-ones and all that) but I'm no great shakes anymore because I had to move away from the sea with work and can't go very regularly! Still, I know what I'm doing and have riden a lot in big messy onshore conditions, on this side of the Atlantic!

Thanks,

Saul
Old 09-24-2011, 07:14 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hello Saul,

We're still in the off wind season currently. The cold fronts should pick up in November or so bringing more regular wind with their passage. For now rideable wind is more hit or miss. Larger kites usually do better in the lighter conditions. In winter we can sometimes have strong winds, 20 to 25 kts. plus but less commonly. Jupiter/Juno can have great waves which can be a good or bad thing depending on what you are used to. If you aren't out in waves much IF larger waves are coming through due to local or distant winds, getting out can be challenging. You will want to start small (waves) and work your way up over time. Water conditions are still warm, a rash guard is about all you might want, transitioning to a shorty, then a full suit, perhaps even a 4/5 in stronger cold fronts in a few months. There is a good local shop for information, lessons if you like to help tune into local conditions at http://jupiterkiteboarding.com/

You can follow local wind prospects, predicted and real time along with livecam images of the area at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=6734

Have a good visit!
Rick

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi