FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > Session Report!
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-18-2007, 01:58 PM

New to FLA kiting. Rode most of the season at Delray Beach, but now ride on Palm Beach Island.
First learned on a two line in Kite Beach Maui, back in 2002. Then Bought first 4 liner from Flash Austin at Kite Beach DR in 2003.
Mostly rode lakes in MI, Lake St. Clair, and Lake MI. I llove not having to rinse my gear off in the lakes! But I also love riding in the ocean.
I am on a 12m Flexi Atom
9m Best Yarga
141 Hana Crew
128 Stretch and Nobile Skim for Light wind

I came down here to finish my last year of school and it turns out I have to go back to michigan for the summer to take some more classes that arent offered here. I get to follow the wind!! Be back when the fall frontals start to kick!!
Old 03-18-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHFLYN View Post
Another Crandon rider & one that PT's at Miamikiteboarding, Perhaps you could tell me the best time to hook up w/ Christophe so I could take/complete my IKO III cert and ride Crandon w/you all

Mile Marker 64: Long Key? Wherever it is in the Keys, it's gotta be good

The Gorge: Heck of a place to have your first try @ Kiteboarding, I'll bet the scenery is incredible
Any time you want to get certified is a good time. I just work for him during the weekend to make some extra cash. I have a full time job at NBC.
Long Key is correct. Ive been going for about 20 years. Nice place, but the wind isnt always great.
And yes, the gorge was great. It was a bit intimitating but awesome nonetheless.
Feel free to reach out to me at Miami Kiteboarding if there is anything I can help you with.
Thanks
Alan
Old 03-19-2007, 09:30 AM

I live on Miami Beach right on the ocean on 50th street and I occassionally kiteboard right there in my backyard. It's a pretty good spot because it is a private beach with no lifeguards and there is a nice shallow sandbar about 50 yards out. Unfortunately some of the new high rise condo buildings on the ocean make weird wind shadows which can be frustrating when rising close to shore. Also, when it is windy enough it is also too wavy and choppy for me so I usually can be found at Matheson or Crandon. I do however see a lot of kiters passing my building while doing downwinders. I assume they come from 87th street and head down to South Beach or Virginia Key/Crandon. Maybe I'll go to 87th street one day and join in on one of these downwinders.

KITE: Yellow Cabrinha Contra Bow 12M
BOARD: Cabrinha prodigy 158
KITING SINCE: June 2006
SPOTS: Crandon, Matheson, Miami Beach
Old 03-19-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimb View Post
Kiting about a year, mostly in Pompano, prefer the waves
Started out on "C" kites switched to Waroos 7 months ago

Finally, after reading Rick's accident write up's, an impact vest and helmet are mandatory for me. Thanks Rick, keep up the good work, While I may not post often, I read yours religiously.
Waves are loads of fun IMO, Not the best for learing in. But you'll soon (if you like surf) be looking for them all the time.
I also switched to SLE's this past year and couldn't be happier, It's improved my confidence and riding 10 fold
RickI definatly puts a lot of time into helping us all out when it comes to safety #1 and event's through out our state!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
New to FLA kiting. Rode most of the season at Delray Beach, but now ride on Palm Beach Island.

141 Hana Crew

I get to follow the wind!! Be back when the fall frontals start to kick!!
Welcome to FKA, Rick's got a get Forum here, With Loads of INFO
Palm Beach, A North county rider. Hope to see you on the water
HanaCrew boards where some of my Favorid boards of all time
See you again in the Fall ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinZ View Post
I live on Miami Beach right on the ocean on 50th street and I occassionally kiteboard right there in my backyard.

I usually can be found at Matheson or Crandon.

I do however see a lot of kiters passing my building while doing downwinders. I assume they come from 87th street and head down to South Beach or Virginia Key/Crandon. Maybe I'll go to 87th street one day and join in on one of these downwinders.
Ahh to be able to kite in my own backyard. Oh wait I do, since all of FL is my backyard. Seriously though Justin you are lucky and I'm sure your able to get in a few more sessions then most ~cheers~
I have got to get to Crandon Park some day soon
Downwinders are a blast, as well are Roundwinders ( I do these often )

Great to hear from everyone so far
Old 03-19-2007, 01:02 PM

Years kiting: <1 Year with a 3 month break during learning (WORK SUCKS)

Beaches: Boynton / Pompano (I love to travel and don't mind driving so you will find me all over the state chasing wind on weekend) Road Trip Anyone?

Quiver: Cabrinha prodigy 158 - (adding Underground XXXL as soon as I can get to St Augustine) 9m switchblade, 11m GK sonic, 16m Switchblade.

Experience: Not much, still learning and I can't go upwind yet, Hoping to get that fixed soon (I just switched from C kites, I have only been on the water with the BOW kites once)

I see wind outside, might hit commercial tonight.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Can't Re-member

What can I say? Kiting around crandon , BB, matheson, rickenbacker, MB, islamorada, jupiter etc the last 10 years but mostly Tampa the last 6 yrs
with a one year stint in Mexico and Cali coast in between. I gotta say SFla has some of the best spots when it is on. When its not, hey go hand to hand for some hogfish or snapper!
all my toys are xbow II's except my biggest is the 14 contra.
Hey, waves rule and ft pierce rocks!
Old 03-20-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizGuru View Post

Years kiting:1 Year with a 3 month break during learning (WORK SUCKS)

Road Trip Anyone?

Experience: Not much, still learning and I can't go upwind yet, Hoping to get that fixed soon (I just switched from C kites, I have only been on the water with the BOW kites once)

I see wind outside, might hit commercial tonight.
Oh I so agree with your "Work sucks" comment, Defiantly gets in the way of my kiting.
But~ No workie No NEW kitie

Road Trip? Ken are you driving??

Up wind abilities will come and not long after that the curve starts to accelerate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR View Post
What can I say? Kiting around crandon , BB, matheson, rickenbacker, MB, islamorada, jupiter etc the last 10 years but mostly Tampa the last 6 yrs
with a one year stint in Mexico and Cali coast in between. I gotta say SFla has some of the best spots when it is on. When its not, hey go hand to hand for some hogfish or snapper!

Hey, waves rule and ft pierce rocks!
What can I say, But....... Damn BigR you've been there!!! Good for you, I bet you've seen some chit in those places & over the years.

Nice to hear that South FL ~IYO~ has some of the best spots when it's on. I know w/1350 miles of FL coast line we do have it good, But I personally can only speak for South FL & it Definatly makes me smile!

Ft Pierce does ROCK and so do the waves on the inside of the North Jetty!

Good Luck w/your East Coast Venture this week BigR!
Old 03-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Can't Re-member

HIGHFLYIN wrote:
Quote:
The Gorge: Heck of a place to have your first try @ Kiteboarding, I'll bet the scenery is incredible
oops! Almost forgot, yeah the scenery and kiting there always rocks! we go there 2 weeks every summer to get away from the FL july doldrums...
Old 03-22-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR View Post
oops! Almost forgot, yeah the scenery and kiting there always rocks! we go there 2 weeks every summer to get away from the FL july doldrums...
Now your just rubbing it in BigR

I lived in Oregon back in 94 for a 6 months, That has to be one of the most Beautiful places (Besides Colorado) that I've had the pleasure to Flyfish w/in the states.

So did you hit up the East Coast for some wave action?
if so do tell......

It's been GOOD down this way 3-5ft and CHUNKY, Loads of fun in the blue water. Well murky blue that is
Old 03-22-2007, 02:31 PM
ruffridah89

I never been to 87 street and collins, where most of the kitesurfers kite in Miami Beach. I bet its awesome.
My friend Jota went from 87 street and collins, did a downwinder, and came to Matheson Hammocks yesturday. Wow, how strong the winds were, and I was completely overpowered with my 13 meter yarga weighing at 160 pounds.
All in all, yesturday was fun, regardless of the disruptive, irregular rains.
-Danny