FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 04-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Skyway Scott

Is that Mr. Bigger? Hey hey hey!! PM Donna any time you want a riding partner out there.

I work these days... no seabreezes for me (not complaining, unreal weekend batting average lately)
Old 04-03-2007, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the info Scott. For those you that don't know Skyway Scott, he has been chasing wind for along time now. His knowledge of wind patterns is an excellent local resource. His call on the spike last Friday night was a perfect example. You da man.

As far as Clearwater goes, the Clearwater Pier sensor is a good indicator to look at. I have noticed this sensors wind speed changes regularly even between the actual hourly posting on the wind graph. As soon as it hits 14 or more mph consider it pretty nice on the north end. IRB 27th Ave is a great spot as the wind whips around the bend. Farther north can be quite unpredictable.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:27 AM
Skyway Scott

Thanks Steve. Do you have a link to that CLW sensor that you mention?
Ikan't only updates it once every two to three hours. Is there a "parent" site which updates more often?

Also, in another thread, you mentioned Dunedin and up North.
Do you have some launch spots that don't require a boat, aren't too muddy and aren't crowded on the weekends? I wanted to give it a shot last weekend, but I only know a couple spots and they are crowded.

Thanks in advance.

For those of you who haven't seen Steve-O at the SW, there is a reason.
He is giving lessons in more secluded areas than just upwind of us at the Skyway or EB. Thank you Steve for respecting crowded kiting spots and giving lessons in areas that impact us the least. Lots of people may not know that you are doing this (because they can't see ya' doing it)

When is the next demo? Is it possible to have one on a weekend?

I think 5 of the kiters (including me) work during the week.
Most of the others have flexible hours (man, I am JEALOUS).
Heck, even the Donster has more flexible hours than me these days. ("sure, I'd love some cheese").

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 04-04-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:34 AM
invisible

I agree with Scott... nice to see Steve doing lessons elsewhere instead of right in the *middle* of a packed riding area on a busy day (!). This is definitely better and safer for both the student and the instructor... heck my instructor wouldn't even let me ride at EB or the skyway until I had been riding for 6 months or so. I was restricted to Big Beach only until I proved myself capable of self rescue and not to be a hazard to other riders lol.

Last edited by invisible; 04-04-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:38 AM

Default Thanks Scott

Scott-

Thanks for the insight. It would be great if you started posting when you thought it was going to turn on. I won't hold you responsible!

Tony
Old 04-04-2007, 10:06 AM

This what the wind looked like yesterday at Old Port of Tampa. I use this if I am going to ride Cypress. I noticed it was nuking on my way home yesterday but I had family obligations and I couldn't make it out. Looks like it started a SW trend before the Sea Breeze kicked in.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:07 AM

I appreciate the props for the lesson environment we are providing. It does take some extra effort to take students to Caladesi, Honeymoon, and 3-rooker, but the overall benefits are well worth it. It sometimes can take a half day just to get a 2 hour lesson in. We also push new students to get their game on in less crowded conditions ie. weekdays and 10-15 knot days. I think most are listening to our warnings but no guarantees. I don't have much control after they leave the lesson environment although we do preach alot.

As far as sensors, it is the IKITe sensor at Clearwater that I see can change regularly. Every ten minutes I check it shows something different as far as wind speed. I could be wrong on this, will have to take some notes.

And yes, Dunedin is a zoo on the weekends. Boats, people, kayaks, jet skis, hobies, you name it. Not a great place to launch from, but if you can get past the channel and over to Caladesi the reward is grand. However, in the winter time when it is cold, the place is obviously empty. Very doable.

Spot doesn't work well on a NW or a due South for obvious reasons, but every other wind direction can be great.

Hope that helps. We'll be up north for the next 4 days if wind allows getting some more folks on the water. Forecasting has looked alot like a yo-yo. I guess were getting used to it. Any thoughts on the next few days wise one's?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:12 AM

I'm gunnin' for Friday...all day baby
Old 04-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Can't Re-member

Quote:
Hope that helps. We'll be up north for the next 4 days if wind allows getting some more folks on the water. Forecasting has looked alot like a yo-yo. I guess were getting used to it. Any thoughts on the next few days wise one's?
Cold front , 15 kts all the way

THURSDAY
NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET. BAY AND
INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE
AFTERNOON.

THURSDAY NIGHT
NORTH WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET.
BAY AND INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

FRIDAY
NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. BAY
AND INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

FRIDAY NIGHT
NORTH WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET.
BAY AND INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

SATURDAY
NORTH WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. BAY AND
INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

SUNDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. BAY
AND INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:47 AM

it is absolutely frickin insane that we dont have a dependable wind sensor in the area...

IN

SANE!!!

**i know i know.. age old conversation...ugh****

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa