FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Something Rich And Strange ... Diving Tales From The Water Underworld
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Talking Teaser Video - New Shark Feeding Video From GoPro HD !!!

Shot a gray caribbean reef shark feed of about 50 individuals off New Providence in the Bahamas last weekend with Stuart Cove Dive Center. I used one still and four GoPro video cameras including two HD units for the first time. Special thanks to Chang, Stuart Cove dive master and shark feeder extraordinaire for carrying one HD camera on his helmet and setting up so many great shots! Chang has a great feeling for perspective, while being mauled by a bunch of elasmobranchs.

Have to say real impressed with what came out of the HDs.

Working on the complete video now, with lots of action, bites, bumps, shark tricks and more. Stay tuned ...

For now, here's a taste:

Video shot with GoPro HD cameras

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 12-16-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

As background, I was shooting at the default setting, R4 or 960p with a C6 8G card. The camera has multiple resolution settings along with other shutter functions. Highest resolution is 1080p (1920x1080). The internally rechargeable battery is rated for 2.5 hours, and it can use C4 or higher SD cards up to 32 G. Using lower class rated SD cards isn't recommended as it might cause image recording problems. Visibility was pretty good at around 80 ft. plus, blue water with partial sun. This was my first HD video for me and I did the editing with iMovie using a Mac with minimal hassles strangely enough.

Oh, the HD camera AND housing rated to 180 ft. go for under $300. USD.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-17-2009, 08:37 PM

Looks great can't wait to see more footage!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks, its on the way. You did a great job capturing some nice points of view with the helmet cam. Like the sequence of you gearing up in your mail suit, the air rings, looking up from under through the sea fan, all good stuff. You'll see it soon.

Question, from the last time I did this dive two months ago and the session last weekend, I would swear some of the sharks looked familiar. Not the one towing Sputnik around, didn't see her? The one with the ripped open mouth looked familiar although there may have been two with similar injuries two months ago. Have you created nicknames for the regular visitors? Also, the sharks seemed more passive two months ago, a bit less aggressive. I wasn't touched once although they passed less than an inch away a bunch of times. This time though, must have been hit a couple of dozen times, lightly. None came close to knocking me over. What do you attribute the different degree of activity to? Also, the last feeder had some choice comments about a lone nurse shark causing some havoc with the bait box unlike the dozens of caribbean grays. The nurse even showed up that time but failed to vacuum up all the bait and end the feed. The grays remind me of fairly well behaved house cats circling a treat with restraint? Have you had any interesting nurse or other shark experiences on these dives? Do you come back with many bruises from sharks mashing down hard on your mail covering? I think I recall Victoria Taylor a gazillion years ago getting pretty beat up by a blue or something chomping down pretty hard.

Thanks again!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-18-2009, 05:31 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

This is reposted from another forum:

It is very portable, the smallest housed camera that I've used in more than 30 years. I have only the one dive with the HD but a bunch with two of the WIDE cameras over many months. Both cameras are operated through pushing two buttons. Icons show up in a small LCD display. They can be a bit too small however the sequence is easily remembered in a short time taking care of that. The camera emits a beeping sound and light signal with changed settings. It was fairly faint with the WIDE, much louder in the HD. It takes a bit of getting used to but for the price and performance well worth the exercise in my opinion. They've made great strides in the HD in many areas, two big ones include power and memory. The battery for the HD is rated for 2.5 hours and charges in the camera via USB cable in short order. It can handle Class 4 to 6 SD cards up to 32 G, use of lower Class SD cards could cause recording problems. The WIDE is limited by shorter AAA MnH battery life and a max SD card cap of 2 G, (4 G with firmware upgrade). I used four of these on the shark dive. One in a chest mount, two on bottom anchors set at remote locations and one on the feeders helmet. I set them all up and activated them without too much trouble.

You should checkout some of the WIDE videos I have from scooter free diving this year. The resolution improves with the HD but the images are still pretty interesting, better in some ways that I receive from cameras that I own costing much more.

For the low cost and unusual performance, even with some slight loss of sharpness UW, I still like the GoPro HD a lot.

"Quote:
Originally Posted by mako781 View Post
Looks great actually...thinking about getting one.

Could you give me some more details on how it worked in the water, the buttons, etc? Was it extremely portable?

Would love to get some thoughts from a fellow diver....I would be using it for diving footage.

looking forward to seeing more of your footage!"

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/und...ml#post4918308

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 12-18-2009, 11:09 AM

Just bought one, got it this week, got it figured out (i think) last night and mounted.

Gonna try it out today if the storms stay away, I have it set on 720p and 60fps.

I'll probably post so footage on youtube. Winds are predicted to be in the high 20s low 30s so should be able to get some good air!
Old 12-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

That isn't the slow-mo setting is it, or is it just good for slow motion playback? The default setting (960p) has the widest field of view and second highest resolution. The file size is larger, not that large though. I think that is the one I would try for kiting, then again, haven't had time and wind to give it a go yet. Let us know how it goes, better yet, show us!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi