FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default 2011 Red Bull Canola - Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Red Bull is kicking into overdrive with creative events in SE Florida. They had a wake event in the Hall Of Fame swimming pool, a snowboard event by the Intracoastal in West Palm and now this home made boat race on New River.

A look at the starting line at Bubier Park from Andrews Avenue. I went to Ft. Lauderdale High School with Mayor Bubier's daughter, Shelly. It is nice they named a park after him.

The course

There were about 27 competing teams of three persons each. All the craft were on display in Bubier Park. Each team went on stage and did a skit of sorts to music of their selection. There was some good break dancing. This Robo-Boy won style points, marvels of duct tape.

Walking the vessels down to the river to launch. The course was about 1/3 of a mile ending in front of the Discovery Center. The tide was coming in at a pretty good clip so the folks had a major assist in making it to the finish.

These guys were inventive, coming up with a creative figurehead as well as an emergency life preserver.

Intensity builds?

Nice blood job! Training shows, I recall this team was from the Ft. Lauderdale Art Institute. Back in the day the Institute was located at the Holiday Inn at the eastern end of Las Olas Blvd.. Used to buy film and stuff there. It is a parking lot today and AI has moved to the former location of Ocean World on SE 17 St..

This was an SS Minnow of rafts. I think the entire three girl crew were tossed into the river as it disassembled somewhat.

Never did see the third crew member, hope she was fished out early. There were three wave runners with rescue mats including one manned by Gio and a colleague from the Ft. Lauderdale Beach Patrol.

Gio and fellow guard keep New River safe or as safe as feasible with biserking wanna be vikings paddling around.

These guys should have won an award for the best horns.

They had great media coverage as usual.

Some of the rafts were quite simple and yet performed well. Others seemed to dissolve in water by contrast.

Have no fear the Coast Guard is here! I think this is the first time I have ever seen the USCG on the water without radios.

Armed and dangerous or at least wet. Note to self, when crafting your vessel shoot from more than 3 inches of freeboard lest you go swimming prematurely as shown in the next frame.

The Beach Patrol picking up the crew from a dissolved raft.

Bull boat, nice job!

Simple, looks like someones pants with tided off inflated legs, an old WWII survival trick.

The figurehead separated from the vessel. The Cape Ann towboat valiantly rescued the rubber maiden and sported her around as a temporary figurehead on their craft. Wonder if they had to do CPR or administer what the British call the "kiss of life" to restore the rubber girl?

A beer cooler goes to sea.

These folks were out of Davie, Davie Gondola Cowboys?

I think this was the only high school team to compete. They made good time too. No entries from FLHS, just a few miles to the north. What is up with that?

Simple design, an air mattress (?) but reliable.

I shot a gopro video of this crew in action on the stage. Nice moves more so considering he is bouncing off soft concrete?

"From left to right: third place team The Ai (Art Institute) Scandinavians, first place team The Techno Vikings, and second place team Carpe D'alien."
Image and text from: http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satelli...21242991429936

Walking back to the dragon craft for more pillaging next year.

More about this fun event at:

http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satelli...21242991429936

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 04-12-2011 at 03:46 PM.