FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott
You got me Rick. I have NO facts.

Would you like me to guess? It'll be funny guesses, with no personal targets.
Some have said it goes below reason maybe something from racial memory about being torn limb from limb by primative preditors. Guys are actually incredulous when I point out the vastly greater threat posed by bad weather conditions vs. getting taken out by a shark while kiting. They insist on ignoring or playing down weather hazards to varyings degree and fixating on sharks which may never show up much less snuff them out. Strange but true. I've been around sharks for decades, was attacked a couple of different times years ago while diving. Still, weather gets my vote hands down with a kite up.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Can't Re-member

strange how kiters get fixated on the gruesome impossibilities yet ignore the bland things that will mess them up
Old 04-01-2006, 10:48 PM
tomstock

Old 04-02-2006, 07:02 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Now surfers, that's a different story, swimmers too for that matter.

There are some likely factors as to why kiters have faired better than surfers. Still, there is some limited overlap in the two activities. I am happy that so far anyway, we have largely not been attacked while kiteboarding.

Despite all this as many have said before the probability of shark attack regardless of activity is LOW. This is underscored in a 2000 study.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks...achattacks.htm

I still think we focus too much on the issue of shark attack. That doesn't mean I don't believe in following reasonable precautions (i.e. avoiding active fish schools, e.g.).

Are many guys coming to Miami for Kite4Girls this coming weekend?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI
WHY do kiteboarders worry so much about sharks, apparently, and frequently show so little concern related to excessively gusty weather?

People have tried to explain this to me in the past. I am afraid I still don't quite get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI
Some have said it goes below reason maybe something from racial memory about being torn limb from limb by primative preditors. Guys are actually incredulous when I point out the vastly greater threat posed by bad weather conditions vs. getting taken out by a shark while kiting. They insist on ignoring or playing down weather hazards to varyings degree and fixating on sharks which may never show up much less snuff them out. Strange but true. I've been around sharks for decades, was attacked a couple of different times years ago while diving. Still, weather gets my vote hands down with a kite up.
Rick, I liked your primal memory of being ripped theory. Entertaining, possible, stuff.
Here is more PURE speculation about why sharks get disproportionate attention/conversation from kiters as a safety threat than squall lines:
(I hope a couple are at least a little entertaining)

1. It sounds manly to discuss being in the shark's realm, defying his surely eminent DEATH bite :shock: The more you discuss his risk to your safety, the more exciting the conversations become. The induced fear gives a hit of adrenaline, its kinda excitin' to think about it, franky. Duh Nuh. Duh Nuh . Dunta DuntaDunta... WHAM!
(Peter Benchley didn't make a hollywood hit starring a rain cloud, ya' know)

2. Discussions regarding defying the winds are BORING! All you gotta do is ride in and land the kite, yawn.

3. You simply can't control a shark or really take (100% effective) preventative measures against the "man-eater", so WTF, put your energies into worrying about the beast. It takes some heat off the more pressing issues which maybe you can see coming, or act in response to with 100% effectiveness.

4. It doesn't sound cool to tell your friends "the WIND kicked my ass".
But, man, a shark nearly got me sounds real hardcore, especially to chicks who watched Jaws (or one of the "eat"quels)

5. Regardless of relevance, some things are just more exciting to talk about despite there level (or lack) of being factual. Yep, more excitin'.

6. People feel more comfortable when they have something to fixate their fears on. Every culture has a boogyman. Many sociologists feel the BM serves a valuable social function. If there is a void for this figure, it will quickly get filled for some. The primary function of the BM is "he" takes the heat for when something inexplicable happens... you can just blame the boogyman. Since he is imaginary, no one points fingers at others. The boogyman is actually ultimately supposed to be a community uniting myth.

While riding a kite, or in the water, the shark is the obvious candidate for role of boogyfish. It does appear to unite us as a group with our common fear against it, but in doing so, it might distract our attention from more realistic, immediate threats to us as kiters.

Just some more non-scientific speculations. I hope a couple were funny.

Scott

(here is a link to another GREAT forum with guys into sharks... its the local fishing crew. They get along pretty well)
http://forums.capmel.com/tool/post/c...23978&trail=15
I just talked to this kid for the scoop about the macks around the skyway, we are gonna nail some today!
Old 04-02-2006, 08:48 AM
tomstock

Old 04-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Can't Re-member

Probabilities in kiteboarding during a year:

Get attacked by Shark = >1 in a million

Lofted by a Squall = 1 in 50

P.S. I watch the dolphins playing until I see the squall coming in
Old 04-02-2006, 09:39 AM
Skyway Scott

Whoa. So what are the odds of me getting safely lofted just in time to avoid an upcoming shark attack?

If I did the math right, I think that would be .0000000000000000000000000000002 %.
(to get lofting number at any one point in time, I divided 1 by minutes ridden per year)
Think the wind God's will help me out in my time of need and loft me over the jaws of death?
(Hopefully not impaling me on a local channel marker) :shock:

Tom, I shark fish alot in the summer. Its just a big fish to me. The fun is in the fact that blacktips are FAST and POWERFUL for their size and commonly do acrobatic jumps when hooked. Its a blast. I always cut the line, never bring them in the boat. The hooks rust out quickly (I use cheapies) and I have hooked the same shark several times in one outting, so the hooks apparently have no impact on their feeding abilities. You should come out once. Maybe I can upload a vid of Donna reeling in a local "toe biter"? Its a great vid. The shark jumps twice, while doing barrel rolls.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:24 AM
tomstock

Old 04-03-2006, 09:45 AM

just remember..
the best way to avoid a shark is to not go toeside into its open mouth.

http://www.bryanleighty.com/shark.wmv

i suggest a quick unhooked kiteloop if you ever find yourself in this situation.

-B