FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 08-19-2007, 09:01 PM

Default New spot I found today!!!

Well at least to me. Many of you know of the 3-rooker sand bar near Tarpon Springs. Awesome place to ride.

Just north of 3-rooker is a familiar island called Anclote Key. I used to go up there and fish many moons ago. Sooooooo, there is a massive....massive sand bar on the south end of the island. It is absolutely huge and all sand bottom. Waste deep or less forever and ever. It is a straight shot over from Howard Park. I have never heard of anyone speak of this place and after spending a whole season at 3-rooker last year, I am shocked that this epic place is only another 10 minutes north of 3-rooker. Never thought to look as in my memory, the sand bar was never there. Looking forward to spending some serious time there this winter. Works on all directions.

Hope everyone had a great day!!!!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:34 PM
popeye

Sounds like a perfect place to do lessons too.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:45 PM

That's just it......it will be a perfect place for teaching. As most of you all know, I don't teach much around the Skyway and Ft. Desoto area for safety reasons. This place is where I will be alot. I don't think you can beat Skyway/Ft. Desoto for East winds though, especially when it is marginal at best.

I will be curious to see what this place looks like on different tides and strong cold front winds.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:23 AM
Can't Re-member

I used to go out there a long time ago on West, NW, NNW winds from FH park.

It is a pretty epic spot. Waves get Real big there during the winter time and it is a few miles on an upwind beat to get there. Too bad we are banned from FH
Old 08-20-2007, 07:18 AM

Yea its unfortunate kiting is banned there. It would be a great kite spot with lots of space to roam. However, the park supervisor, is close friends to a small windsurfing group, of which they dont want kiters launching their since its their home spot. In addition, a kiter endangered some patrons on the beach 5 years ago, since then its been banned. There are no signs saying kiteboarding isnt allowed, but there are signs saying recreational area on the North,South and East sides of the island. There is a small chance in about a year and a half it may be open to kiters, thats when the head supervisor of the park retires, of which the kiting band is kind of his rule. You still have to deal with the local windsurfers. We'll see what happens.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:20 AM

I'm heading out to 3 rooker today, not sure how it is on easterly winds though.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:59 AM
popeye

Default yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian360 View Post
In addition, a kiter endangered some patrons on the beach 5 years ago, since then its been banned.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:23 AM

LOL! That's somebody else's claim! I'm sure he'll bring it up next time he sees you Steve-O.

See you guys out there!
Old 08-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Skyway Scott

I actually remember "the day" we got locked out of Fred Howard Park.
It was 6, maybe 7 years ago. Jeff Weiss was going to have a free kite demo at the park that particular Saturday. When he showed up, he was told he could not enter. Thing is, the day before, a kiter pissed off a lot of windsurfers (is the story I heard from Jeff). I know the kiter, but it doesn't really matter. He was yelling at the windsurfers (out of panic) to get out of the way of his fallen kite because he was concerned for their safety. Then, he used basically zero tact with the windsurfers and the park supervisor, is what I heard. That incident was all it took.

I have only kited the general area once (about a month ago) and have never tried to enter, rig and ride Fred Howard (has anyone else tried?).

The day I rigged at Sunset, I rode over to FHP about ten times and was riding with the windsurfer in the FHP vicinity for about a half hour. They didn't seem to care, I actually got the impression they were having fun racing with me, because they ended up following me all the way back to Sunset and then talking with me about kiting for about an hour.

Is there definite animosity between the kiters and windsurfers in that area?
Is it imagined? Again, I was only there once, so those are sincere questions, but it seemed like the windsurfers got along and actually knew the other two kiters there that day (Sean and John) and acted like they hung out together all the time.

Is it just the park ranger at FHP?
If so, hopefully that guy will opt for early retirement
Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 AM

There's no animosity between the windsurfers and kiters in that area. It's no different than being at EB and sharing the stoke with other kiters. We all get along well and talk about each other's sport. Good vibe IMO