FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 12-18-2006, 04:38 PM

Default Recommendations for Cape Hatteras

Sorry, I realize this forum is for Florida, but figured some of you may have travelled to Cape Hatteras.

My question is: has anyone stayed in Buxton and kited there during a SW wind? Is the wind too shadowed along the Buxton coast in a SW?

Thanks. Again, sorry for the intrusion.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:08 PM
E-Bone

The guyz at Real have always said that the SW wind tends to be much cleaner further north, up in Avon or in the Waves/Rodanthe area. You can stay at the KOA in Waves and walk across the street and rig at Hatteras Island Surf and Sail. If you are hell-bent on Buxton (where the original Real shop still is) you can stay at Frisco Woods campground.

If you go, bring something to do if it doesn't blow (PSP, inflatable farm animal, whatever). It is BORING as hell when there is no wind if you have a short attention span like I do. Also, eat dinner early because everything closes early. And I assume you are planning for summer this coming year, because it must be colder than a witch's titty in a brass bra up there right now, unless they are having a mello winter like we are in Florida.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:46 AM

Thanks Ebone, I've stayed in Avon and Waves before. Was curious about Buxton, seems like it would not be very clean for SW as you said. It it were to blow from the north it would be no problem. Anyway, thanks for the confirmation, I'll stay in Avon again. Yes, it's for next April.

Peace out. :wink:
Old 12-22-2006, 01:55 PM

Default SW in Hatteras

SW winds south of the light house usually means ocean side downwinders, lauch at the Museum/ferry docks turnout ride to frisco pier or Lighthous if you like. But as said previous, SW in the sound can be shifty if you are too close to Hatteras village. Buxton/Frisco is real nice in a NE in the spring, not quite as nuked out as Waves/Rodanthe. Bring ALL of your gear and a surfboard if you can.

Pete,
West of Hatteras