FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > Let's Ride!
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 07-07-2006, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstock
Just remember, when one line breaks, the other one does too.
Using stock kite lines for tow ups is pretty crazy, they might be rated for 600#, although I doubt there is quality control in place at the kite line factory to ensure this rating. Not sure I'd trust the Chinese with my life.

I would highly recommend using leader lines all the way to the kite attachment points. The Amsteel line is pretty tough and would be less likely to break than dyneema or spectre line.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Can't Re-member

You gotta be careful what type leader line, some are pretty weak,

1200# Q line might be good
Old 07-07-2006, 10:28 AM

what Tom says above is true: when one line breaks so do others.
The thing is... in 7 years of riding i have NEVER NEVER broken a line. I have broken 40+ pigtails, 3 bars, , several harnesses and harness bars, 2 chicken loops, countless chicken loop lines, and just about every other piece of equipment.

But Tom is correct. When one piece of equipment fails it tends to overload the rest and they break in succession.

I have a few ideas to correct this but it is a trial and error process. Thats why i plan on spending most of my time around 20-25 feet until we get these ironed out. Plus, the future of competitive towkiting is at the 20-30 ft level.

looks like we might get rained out today but i'll keep ya'll posted if we go out.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:03 AM

Alex Peterson might be a good source of info as he does some pretty crazy stuff with his kites. AP(at)AlexPetersonKiteFlight.com

www.alexpetersonkiteflight.com
Old 07-07-2006, 12:44 PM

Good point Eagle. Also, if there is such scrutiny on towups, why aren't people giving these snow kiters a hard time? These guys loop the kite off of cliffs so I am told from a guy I met from Utah (He is the one who sold me the 25.5 Machine)!!! Where is the difference there and in the water? They are all taking calculated risks and are aware of it... The snow kiters can fall to jagged exposed rocks and have just some powder before hitting the rest of the ground if they fall...

I think Jay and Bill are definitely paving the way for a new way of expanding the sport. It may be dangerous, but like I said...they are aware of the risks that they are taking and choose to move forward. I, for one think they are taking the necessary precautions and are doing it as safe as possible...

I'm with Bryan though, only been here less than a year and am content cruising and jumping...for now!!! But I've gotta say that I do love watching them push the limits!!! 8)