FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > Something Rich And Strange ... Diving Tales From The Water Underworld
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 07-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Skyway Scott

Funny stuff.
Nice article, Rick.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:12 PM

Good thing they weren't Maine lobsters, or there would be another dimension to the story. Or should I say dimension-less.

Frank
Old 07-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Screwed that up, happens when you rush stuff. Back in the oven, back out soon once it's done!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Well, sometimes Chris. Looked for a hidden meaning, missed it, oh well.

In the spirit of getting some back, gather round for a story...

It took place in a land far away overseas and decades in the past. It happened to someone I know but who shall remain nameless. He had just been coasting along over a couple of miles of reef just looking around. He had no bugging gear with him as it happened. He came up on a tire on the sand in about 15 ft. of water. I think they call them "condos" these days but back then, just tires. The hubs were long gone but they were fairly sprouting with antennae.

Like the Bug Coop only deeper

Not the easy broken chromed aluminum variety but those bound to Panulirus argus, Spiny Lobster. He thought, hmm maybe should bring some bugs home to dinner, uh, for dinner. Problem, he had no gloves and had experienced the slice and dicing that comes with barehanding bugs that don't want to be manhandled.

The ever inventive mind hatched a solution, take your bathing suit off, wrap it around your right hand and you're good to go. So, hand clothed and privates free to the deep blue sea he descended to address the bugs. Tires have the unique quality of making lobsters feel more secure and providing an infinite distance along which to travel, in circles at high speed inside the rim. Catching them is easier than shooting fish in a barrel, even without a gun. Just plop your hand in the inner recess of the tire and wait for the bugs playing Roller Derby to slam into your open fingers. As this was long ago and far away in a distant land, he tailed the bugs making it easier to hang on to them. Five lobster were gathered in this fashion sans bug bag and off to shore again.

Do these guys have attitude or what?
From: http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/divetips.php?s=682

The guy was uneasy about putting his burden down and covering up his privates lest a greedy triggerfish fly in and scarf up the bootie, the bugs that is. So, cupping the tails in both hands he swam in au naturale for a time. Doing the odd barrel role to look around he happened to notice a permit fish in tow. A BIG permit and an eager one at that with a strange look in his eye?

Permit on the hoof
From: http://antiguaisland.blogspot.com/20...7_archive.html

The diver was back peddling facing the permit hands in front along with everything else as it happened. It was a good sized one about the size of a Thanksgiving serving platter. The fish would rush in and then back off. This was starting to unnerve the guy more than a bit, considering a) he thought permits were midwater feeders, no crustacea or annelids in their diet b) despite the presence of bugs there was other potential fodder. There is a certain degree of irrationality that comes with certain types of threats to guys. This was one of those touchy situations and trophic analysis aside, Ockham's razor aside, it wasn't clear to the guy what was in the permits mind or on the menu. The damn fish kept charging in! The guy kicked it THREE TIMES and it still kept running in, dammmuh! He had kicked sharks only twice in the past and the toothy tiburons had fled. Not so our permit though. New problem, the water was getting shallower. He is envisioning running up on the beach holding the bug tails, flapping about with a permit dolphining in his wake to the general entertainment of the bathers on the beach. Understand in some cultures, having your right hand covered and nothing else ... means absolutely nothing?

The offending fish saying ahhhh. LOOK at the size of that mauw, gives me the willies!

Coming down to the moment of truth and precious little water, he decided to throw the permit a bone, uh tail. It was the biggest one too, damn! The permit glided up, sniffed it and charged along after the diver AGAIN. In about two feet of water and shoaling at this point, kicked the fish one more time with feeling and it whipped around to gorge on the bug tail on the bottom. He was then able to drop the tails for a second, don his suit and walk out with what shreds of dignity the permit sneak attack allowed.

Moral: Five bugs in the hand are good, but four and safely covered privates are better if permit'ed!?

Text Copyright FKA, Inc. 2008

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by admin; 07-31-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Moore View Post
Rick,

Back in Hawaii my friends and I use to go lobster diving at Waimea Bay at night. I was the one who always kept a look out from the churchabove Wiamea for cops because it was illegal to catch lobsters durring that time of the year. Its pretty easy to spot someone in the water because the use of flash lights at night in the water. Before my friends would come in I would signal 2 flashes for coast is clear or 3 for cops on shore. This one night my flash light went dead right after I gave the second flash and yes there were cops on shore. So my buddies got caught and they were given a stern warning, which meant HPD had a good dinner the next night.

Great story Chris. It is amazing how far you can see a light shined up to the surface from below. It looks like green circular explosions sometimes. Glad you guys got off with a warning and the police got to tuck into some fresh lobster.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchxpress View Post
Good thing they weren't Maine lobsters, or there would be another dimension to the story. Or should I say dimension-less.

Frank
Hey Frank,

Maine lobster, now that would be nasty. Permit on one side trying to take a bite while the Maine guys are chopping away at the other side as you descend into the "lost dimension."Do people dive up there in just bathing suits, or not? Or is it too chilly? Harder to repeat this story with a drysuit which is comforting.

Thanks Scott, sorry to put it up before it was finished.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi