FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 06-07-2006, 09:48 AM

Default More kool helmets!!!

Not only does Shred Ready ( www.shredready.com ) have killer helmets, check these out!!!

http://www.sweet.no/helmets_strutter.htm

In the wake of the recent kiting accident/death in Nevada, I'd love to see all of my bros and sistas wearing helmets out on the water...these look cool so who cares anyway? I know it is a personal decision for every individual but I hope you consider making a small investment (we all spend THOUSANDS on gear but some don't have the cash to spend $120 on a helmet :? :shock: :? ) to invest in the protection of your melon and pick one up. It would really be cool to see EVERYONE on the water wearing one someday...

Happy kiting!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:34 AM
E-Bone

Fuk dat. I don't want to get lines caught on my helmet and snap my neck.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:37 AM

How tha hell you gonna get lines caught in your helmet!?!?!? :lol:
Old 06-07-2006, 11:53 AM

if anyone can do it, EBone can :lol: :lol:
Old 06-07-2006, 01:51 PM
E-Bone

Do a big jump with a rotation, land backwards with the kite falling out of the sky. I had the lines fall right over my shoulders, all around my neck, while I tried to lose the bar before the kite repowered. To add to the excitement, I was wearing full bindings.

No more helmets for me after that, unless I am in surf, so a wave doesn't toss a board upside my head.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:25 PM

With that big head of yours would it matter anyway? Won't you just get the lines wrapped around your ears anyway good buddy?!?!? :P

Just kidding, I wear a helmet so my dumbo ears don't catch the lines...
Old 06-07-2006, 02:32 PM

I'm with Ebone... I truthfully feel safer without a helmet.

Only time you're really going to hit something head on is if it gusts and you're on land. Or, if you're just riding too close to shore and get pulled ashore.

When I wear a helmet, I can't see, it pushes my hair over my eyes.

Landing really hard and fast the helmet has come off my head and choked me.

I used to wear the earpieces on my helmet, couldn't hear crap. When I took the off I'd always sustain the only head injury I've ever gotten from a watersport, water in the ear really hard.

I feel safer without a helmet... I try not to ride close to obstacles, and if shit hits the fan... *... just promise to play "highway to hell" at my funeral.

*At this point I had to stop because some trashy people came into my work... lady flipped out because she wrote a check for the wrong amount and she blamed me for it. :lol: It was hard trying not to laugh at her when her and her business partner started yelling in the store then the business partner ran out, then she wrote the check wrong and said I gave her the wrong price...
Old 06-07-2006, 02:39 PM

Kev, the helmets that I posted have a strap behind the crown of your head which does not allow them to come off. It tightens down and really sticks to your head well. I just think the chances of me getting hurt from lines vs. the chances of me getting hurt from a solid stationary object while getting worked like a tree, car, or other obstacle is VERY lopsided...
Old 06-07-2006, 03:05 PM

I had never even thought about getting lines tangled on the helmet...

I admit to the mixed bag of feelings I have about helmets.. I read on some post on another forum where someone said your head was probably in more danger on your car ride to the beach than it was while kiting ... and I can see the truth in that.

I just starting rotations and have yet to really *crash* on a kite where I am not at least in partial control.. I assume once I start getting turned around is where I am going to start paying the price...

I know that Dan got his hand snagged on a depower strap when the kite dropped and suddenly found itself downwind and powered.. took him for a one-armed ride in the water before he was able to break free. Now imagine a snagged line on a helmet... damn.. never thought of that occuring.

*something to think about for certain....*

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa
Old 06-07-2006, 06:16 PM

about the chocking/getting caught on your lines, david had his helmet get caught on something to his kite i don't remember what and it was choking him from his neck as he was being pulled thru the water.

truthfully i hate wearing it.