FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Nor*Cal

Default little help?

Hey, I'm flying into Orlando this weekend and Of Course I'll be chasing forecasts on Ikite from Melbourne to Tampa bay. Can any of you local meteorologists give me a heads up on where to go? Possible events? I guess what I'm asking is does it look good or bad or.....ya know. Thanks
Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

It is looking pretty light unfortunately by the forecast. Predicted to be 5 to 10 kts. around Tampa and 10 to 15 kts. around Melbourne for part of the time. Wind direction is important too of course as it is to shift side off in Melbourne on Sunday. All this is subject to change naturally enough. It could improve substantially or stay about the same.

A weak front is supposed to move down and then back up across Florida over the weekend. I wouldn't put too much stock in ikitesurf forecasts in areas where there isn't a meteorologist checking the machine forecasts. This applies to most of Florida I believe. Have pretty good luck with NWS though. You can click the outlined quadrants just offshore in the vicinity of Melbourne and Tampa. ikitesurf is great for real time wind so that you can update things when you're trying to decide where to go.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/

Not aware of any events this weekend. Ask again on Friday for an update and we'll see if the forecasts have improved.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Nor*Cal

Thanks for the link. As of today Tampa Bay (on Saturday) looks like it may get a little puff. 12-15 with gusts to 21, I might be able to make that work. Can you recommend a launch that works on a south southwest? Fort de soto or Indian rock comes to mind but being from out of town I would hate to waste time going the wrong way.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

As you can see the forecast can change frequently, sometimes with each update a few times per day. The general conclusion now is what is coming is supposed to move fairly quickly and be weak. Even that can change however. Best advice, wait as late a possible tomorrow or even to Saturday morning before deciding if you can.

Checkout weather resources at:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=6738
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=5277

by all means bring it up here again.

Sometimes the wind portends are strong and fairly obvious. The forecast at this point is subtle.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Nor*Cal

Wow. I can't thank ya enough! You've got so much info it's almost overwhelming. I'll check in again early Saturday morning via IPhone.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

You're welcome, hope it works out for some useable wind. Know more tonight and tomorrow morning.

There is an event tomorrow in St. Pete, competition is limited to registered college students but it might be fun to watch and free ride, wind willing. More at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?p=38874#post38874

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 02-13-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:50 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Well, the current forecast is for no useable wind on either coast of central Florida today or even tomorrow. Looked pretty good for Tampa last night but that changed. There still might be wind despite that today or tomorrow but it may be more of a random thing. Keep an an eye on ikitesurf. Sorry, but it happens between stronger fronts here. There is always CKA #5 in St. Pete http://fksa.org/showthread.php?p=38874#post38874 today and tomorrow. They will likely have some interesting stuff going on.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 02-14-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Nor*Cal

Man I don't know what to say but thanks. I know if I didn't bring gear it would probably be nuking. I'll probably head towards ft. de soto anyway and check out the area for next time. Thanks again for everything, Kev out.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

It is pretty sunny and warm down in my area of SE Florida. Wouldn't surprise me to have thermal winds later on today. These are rarely forecast. May have the same thing over in St. Pete. If you're over that way be sure to check out the CKA event. The guys know how to put one on.

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=7594
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=3670

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Nor*Cal

Got Some ! I had to postpone the flight until today but it was totally worth it. Got a heads up from a guy in cocoa beach about the 520 slick. I just wanted to say thanks to the folks that were out there showing me the ropes. Thanks to Mike and the guys with slingshot. It was an amazing place to ride and I thoroughly enjoyed watching / riding with you guys while the on coming traffic was honking and stopping to check you locals out. All that butter and the positive energy really made an almost worthless weekend great. I also wanted to wish a speedy recovery to the guy who went through the bushes (I was the guy that helped you out of the wet suit). Hope all is well, ride safe and thanks again. Peace!