FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 10-17-2006, 10:51 AM

Default Those !@#$#*@$(#$ beginners!

Attention all beginners!

One thing that I have hated and has bothered the hell out of me is the disrespect and lack of support for beginners. I know not all of you intermediate to advanced riders paid to have an instructor watch every session until you were running upwind and never falling off your plane. However, I am beginning to really see why beginners are getting this disrespect and it is our own fault. I don't understand why beginners insist on launching near other kiters in crowded areas, or when weather conditions are not favorable.

Before I continue let me explain where I am coming from. I am a beginner, I have not had training from a formal instructor, and however I have had guidance from experienced kiters. I have review several training videos as well as spend countless amounts of time watching other kiters, and not just the tricks. Focusing on the launch, water start, board angle, body angle, kite positioning. I have been into stunt kites for years and can control a trainer no problem. As of now I can not edge upwind, I can somewhat hold my ground and I fall and loose my board a lot. But I am extremely motivated to learn the sport and I am very glad the wind starting to come so I can truly progress.

However, I do not kite in conditions I am not comfortable in and I stay away from all other kiters when riding. What is making me upset however is seeing how people near or at my level are working on making it to where any kind of self learning will not be possible cause I will have to have an IKO level 3 certification to put my kite in the air. I have been and will be a respectful beginner.

I have noticed the more advanced rider discussing rules and complaining about beginners lately. I wanted to address I a few things that I have done to earn respect of others and keep myself safe.

First, Stay clear of other kiters, and If you are of the "We deserve to ride an area too" party. You are completely wrong, until you can handle a crowded beach with COMPLETE confidence stay clear of them. Spend the extra time driving to a nice open beach where you can practice without getting into anyone’s way (I have driven 2 to 4 hours for such a beach and still be skunked by wind that was over forecasted). Also IMO it is a lot easier and you will progress much faster when you are on an empty beach where you only have to focus on your kite and your board.

Second, Ask a local, Let them know you are a beginner and you are looking for a good area to ride clear of everyone. Ask them about currents and weather conditions. Let them know what you are thinking about rigging for the conditions and get there thoughts. This is so important I have learned more form this that anything else. Most of the time you will get a respectful answer and some really great suggestions. They usually have no problem pointing you in the right direction. It is that or let you launch too big of a kite and get dragged down the beach until you crash your kite into them!

Third, if you don't feel comfortable, land your kite. I have done this on several occasions, if it doesn't feel right let it go there will be other times and days. This weekend I launch my 12m for the first time, the back lines were too short causing the kite to fly over my head and lift. I made sure the downwind clear and pull my safety so the kite fell to the ground. Later that day at a different beach I began to rig, the wind continued to pick up. I asked a local rider his thought on flying my 17m he informed me that I would be overpowered and suggested my 12m (Thanks Jimbo). I respected his advice, put the 17m in my car. Since I was not comfortable with my 12m and the wind was really nuking I did not kite that day. I took out the 3m and the land board to ride around. I watch other kiters all day as well as help out another beginner that was getting some guidance. I had fun, met some cool people, go to absorb a new area and how people rode it (awesome looking down winders). All without getting on the water.

Last, spend some time watching a crowded launch and how people ride a new area. This will do a few things. It will allow you to see where and how people launch the site, where they ride once there on the water and give you some time to really note any potential hazards. It will also let you really see if there is a safe place for you to practice at this launch and allow you to look elsewhere.

If we beginners do what I have mentioned above we will be much more accepted into the kiting community and the negativity we receive will hopefully diminish. How can you expect someone to help you out and show you respect when you are risking your life, their life, and their launch. In short I understand the concern from experienced riders and there anger they have toward some beginners. Be respectful and safe and earn the respect of the more experienced riders, don't expect them to be lifeguards for your stupid decisions.

Respect those with more experience then you, after all they are the ones who most likely got you inspired to get into the sport. Let’s keep it safe and fun. Don't rush things, have fun and be safe.

Also note, none of what I said applies to those buying a kite and going out by themselves, GET SOME INSTRUCTION. I am refering to those that have basic instruction and need practice so we can ride up wind and cruise with ease.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:50 AM
ruffridah89

Bizguru,
Which beach do you see these problems happening?
-Danny
Old 10-17-2006, 12:17 PM

I have seen it happen at serveral beach across florida first hand, the post was sparked by the post about 3000 kiters in "Whats Going On"