FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > St. Petersburg/Tampa Bay Forum > What's going on?
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 03-22-2008, 11:01 AM

If you and Scott Wolfe got the green light and made enough effort to get Jim Wilson involved, then why didn't you just take the reins and run with it when you saw nothing happening? I admit, maybe I didn't push as hard as I could have a few months back to make things happen. But neither did you. We all need to stop pointing the finger and start looking in the mirror more.

So it's pretty clean cut Scott. You are either supporting these efforts or you aren't. You haven't even tried working with it and have gone as far as to say that you won't wear a tag. Like someone else posted, newbs usually look up to the more experienced guys and if there are some veteran riders that are unwilling to wear a small tag on their harness, then what do you think newbs are going to say? They aren't going to either. So yes, you are impeding the progress of people trying to implement the tag system Scott.

I know you are a positive person when you want to be. There is no productive reason not to support an effort to make things safer. If you have ideas as to other ways to make it safer to kite around here then the rest of us are all ears. I am open to suggestion and I think that *most* others are too. Maybe we should all just have that meeting that Alex suggested. No alcohol, no BS. Just riders getting together and sharing some ideas that we can build on. I think that Steve S. is organizing some meetings in the coming weeks. You should come, I think getting everyone together will keep all points of view visible and we can get to work on establishing some of the things that 'fell through the cracks' a few months ago, or something completely new that we can ALL agree on...and lets keep it positive!
Old 03-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Tom Stock

Quoting from those 6 month old threads Scott linked to:

Quote:
08-23-2007, 02:03 PM

Kite-4-Life and Triton Kiteboarding are in the works of organizing signs and a band system. We are using the suggestions from this thread to base our decisions. We will have a meeting this weekend with a number of instructors agree on a final decision about what should be mentioned in signs and how the band system will work, the progress will be updated on the forum and if anyone has any questions call me and i'll fill you in 203 918 6637. We realize the importance and the urgency and were handling the issue asap.
-Matt Sexton
www.TritonKiteboarding.com
I think that pretty much covers it.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:32 AM

Cool! Thanks Tom!
Old 03-22-2008, 01:05 PM

Question

I will take full credit for the signs not being installed yet, please keep in mind that since the meeting, I have pretty much been on my own, and I do not have the finances to do this properly. Its not a 10 dollar sign, either, nor a 2.00 tag that will solve our problems. Its building something legitimate and long lasting that doesn't fall apart when the wind starts blowing. It takes the efforts of many, and I am only one person.Startup costs are not cheap, and I have used every extra penny I have to knock out these expenses as I can. My issue isn't time,motivation, dedication, lack of knowledge... its money. I know some have offered assistance, but I can't afford to make a mistake with Uncle Sam in setting up this organization, so I have not pursued it. Old Sambo is kinda picky about taking money before he says its OK. I am trying to balance my existing business,startup kite school, and a non-profit all at once, and make them all work LEGITIMATELY.

Believe me, if I had a fat bank account, this would have been done and in place a LONG time ago and we would be talking about the next great event, what we did to help someone, or what we did to impress the "officials", instead of slinging mud pies back and forth.
I really don't think I have gotten sidetracked by the wind, events, lessons, new gear, or anything else. Some people get excited about the fastest looping kite or the newest light wind boards or whatever- I do not. I get excited about safety, preserving access, and bringing this fine group of locals together as a group. Simply because thats what I know best... I look for solutions, and despite my clownish forum games, I think my posts have shown that, and offered some darn good solutions.
Something else I would like to say is that I have tried to find ways to make this FREE foreveryone and will continue to do so. That has been something VERY IMPORTANT to me and I don't know why. This sport has an average income of probably 60,000+, with kiters spending 2-3000 a year on new gear, so why do I bother? Because I dont want to be accused of ripping someone off or seem like I am trying to make a quick buck off of fellow kiters.If I did, I would be charging top dollar for a lesson and force feeding kites to newbies.

Signs and tags are the best idea presented so far, if you want something else, please figure it out.

There are many launches that could use signs, and the ARE ways to get them installed by working with the "officials", but getting on the same page is first. I don't think signs and tags will immediately solve ANYTHING, especially in the Gulf, but at least is shows an effort to unite.
I have other ideas to contribute,on keeping hot doggers out of the swim zones.
It has nothing to do with forums and calling out, but it does require unity as a group, just like everything else I preach.
It takes the majority of safe kiters to draw a line and stick to it.
More details coming soon.

About meetings:
I am preparing a post to call some meeting(s) to bring together the ones who have been helping me, and the ones who want to move forward.
My goals aren't a secret and never have been, and begging for help has always been a part of it. We need everyone's help by giving this a chance.
I am taking my time on writing the post because I don't want it to be overwhelming or piss anyone off. (imagine THAT!) Theres a lot of things to be discussed, and I want to make sure that everythings covered so we can all just get back to riding and being friends again.
Thanks for reading.
Steve Sadler (813)389-3683
Old 03-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Can't Re-member

Great Post!

Move things forward, not back!
Old 03-22-2008, 02:23 PM

Jackie Moon once said "Everyone Love Everyone!"

Old 03-23-2008, 10:47 AM

scott- i certainly wasn't pointing the finger at you for the tags/signs not becoming a reality. All is was saying was that if this thing can come together again and take off, it would suck to have someone with such a strong voice in the area to mock the effort. Steve and I did product research for the tags,etc but we're both broke and just couldn't front the money to get it off the ground. They did have that meeting and a lot of the instructors did meet up. I wasn't there so I'm not sure what happened/didn't happen there.

Lets stop trying to place the blame on someone and put all that energy towards something positive. please? Making someone a scapegoat for a group effort not being initiated isn't fair. There were MANY of us that could have stepped up but that is all in the past. If the issue has come up again, its probably worth giving it a shot. it probably won't be perfect when it luanches, but there's no reason we can't be flexible with it...
Old 03-25-2008, 11:17 PM

spoke 2 a freind 2day.
convinced me that i am wrong.
swim zones r 4 swimmers.
not powered vessels.
my bad yawl.
kite safe
its cool
honest
Old 03-26-2008, 07:54 AM

Edit:

Steve,

I reread your post. Is it possible to request a sticky thread that shows your "business plan" and well as capital needed to make this reality? Being able to review your plan of action will help in shedding light and building community confidence in your plan...

Thanks,

Bryan W.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:12 AM

Right on B!
We all need to realize that kiteboarding evolved from surfing and that surfers in this area are very limited on choices on where to go. Let them enjoy their spots without us buzzing them. Since we are totally mobile and have the entire coast to ride, why don't we agree to not kite at Upham Beach and the other places they go. Give them space and respect and we can minimize confrontation, injuries, and bans. We have enough risk of that already!
On a downwinder with a fellow kiter a few days ago, we had the entire beach to ourselves, with only an occasional swimmer or body boarder in the water. The lead kiter would signal to the upwind rider the location of the swimmer, and then point offshore- as in "Thats where we need to be!" Since we already use universal hand signals for launching and landing, and know the right of way rules, adding another signal to aviod certain areas is easy. Let's try to stay out of any swim area with people in the water and make sure that fellow kiters are aware of the situation, before they send a big one and land on somebody. I don't think giving up a few riding areas is a big deal, either. We are unlimited!

Maybe some fellow surfers could chime in and give us the spots the surf the most, so it is common knowledge where we should avoid. Otherwise, if you see a surfer, please go around their riding area, outside the buoys, and we should all get along just fine!
Any local surfers that are curious about kiting, gimmie a shout and I will hook you up with an intro to kiting class at no charge.
B-Safe
Steve Sadler
(813) 389-3683
IKO Instructor #3481