FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 02-20-2008, 04:34 PM

Default night kiteboarding

I went out last night because it was a full moon for a lil midnight run that. I was out for a lil while and my friend got a few pictures of me. when I lost my board and i was body draging to get when somthin hit my legs i dunno what it was but it scarred the shit outta me. dunno if i ran into somthin or it was a shark or some animal but it was probbly the freakiest moment ive had in the ocean yet. mabey night kiteboarding isnt such a good idea?
Old 02-20-2008, 06:02 PM

Default ft pierce

Alot of sharks up your way, but it could of been a manatee. i was freediving out of st lucie 2 years ago, dropped down on a lemon shark to check it out (7-8 ft shark), half of her fin had been bitten off. I thought it was cool, but I couldn't keep from looking over my shoulder for the rest of the day.
________
MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by kabo123; 08-11-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent B View Post
I went out last night because it was a full moon for a lil midnight run that. I was out for a lil while and my friend got a few pictures of me. when I lost my board and i was body draging to get when somthin hit my legs i dunno what it was but it scarred the shit outta me. dunno if i ran into somthin or it was a shark or some animal but it was probbly the freakiest moment ive had in the ocean yet. mabey night kiteboarding isnt such a good idea?
Yes, I would say it would be fair to say that Ft. Pierce is pretty sharky. A couple of favorite stories come to mind. One involved a well known local windsurfer now kiter out for a nice windsurfing session around the inlet. The waves were on, the bait was jumping and so was he. Problem was he just ramped a jump off of a wave when a spinner shark decided to launch in front of him at about the same time. The shark ended up landing on the guys board, the windsurfer decided to let the shark have it and backed away holding on to a footstrap. The rig came down forming a spinner shark sandwich of sorts. Being served up seemed to be a new experience for our FP tiburon who flipped mightily eventually extracting itself as the sandwich filling. The windsurfer was feet away holding on to the footstrap trying to decide what to do. Once the shark was off our guy was back on and blasted off.

The other case involved a newbie, cheaping out from pro lessons trying to teach himself how to kite just to the south off Hutchenson Island. Again, the bait were jumping (if you see this stop and think it over). Our fellow was spending a ton of time in the water trying to figure out how to waterstart. A shark, possibly another spinner or maybe even the same one (out of the thousands in a migration & years apart?), attacked the guy. He was injured but recovered at least physically. Emotionally he was through moving well inland away from any ocean or future prospects of kiting. His was the most serious shark attack on a kiter that I have heard about worldwide to date.

Rule of thumb, the further north you go from Ft. Lauderdale, the more common tiburons become.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 02-20-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:57 AM

http://www.thekitehouse.com/gallery2...up&cat=0&pos=0

http://www.thekitehouse.com/gallery2...up&cat=0&pos=1

http://www.thekitehouse.com/gallery2...up&cat=0&pos=3

Using the moon really helps, looking in towards the beach gives you a clear field of sight, going out you have to reference something, as your sight perception is off. I would sugest going with someone, go where you know, and make sure you can get in.

When riding with someone else, the water coming off board shows th most light, you can see the kite slightly, but the wake from the rider and white water is better.

I do see alot o tarpon in key west and if i go on the other side, i for sure get company from under the sea. As i said, very good idea to really know the spot, condtions and whats feeding. Pics above where from the other night.