FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 08-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Skyway Scott

Rick,

I agree with most of what you have said. I have to testify to the 12m Contra Crossbow tho as an unreal light wind kite (at 155 myself) with unreal range (with some experience). On a Glide I have confidence with it in solid 9 knots (no current) and am not concerned if it picks up to 16 or even 20. Today was literally the perfect example. I rigged it early and just kept riding. It ended up blowing about 18 or 20 -- I hopped off at 3 when I felt it was about to drop off (rain was coming). Early on in the light stuff I just cruised around and did some sight seeing. When it was blowing good, I was screaming upwind and jumping off of waves at will. It was very fun.

http://www.ikitesurf.com/windAndWher...112&siteID=305

I have been using "Donna's" (uh oh) 12m Contra for about a month straight now. It is ALL I rig, regardless of initial windspeed (assuming not 20+ to start). It has truly amazed me as a light wind kite, especially when it's range is factored in. I still can't believe it is a 12m kite. (Is it? Has anyone actually measured it out?)

I personally view it as ultimate light wind kite. It is exceptionally stable, goes upwind like mad once it hits 13 knots, and has unreal range. It also water relaunches pretty easy. I must admit, I am not comfy self launching (most of the bows) yet.. they are just different to me.
I haven't found another kite with the same low end and top end, yet.
I mean a 12m in 10 knots? Pretty sick. Not getting blown off in 20 on the same kite you are on in 11? Sick, again.

It has reasonable pop for a bow kite, and yes, I have nailed some big ones in 22 or so (although I think an 11m fuel would have pumped me up higher).

Anyway, my point is that Cabrinha truly did nail a light wind kite with this one. I am in general not much of a Cabby fan, and in no way partial to any one brand. I am always on the hunt for something that works tho, regardless of the logo on the kite/board and this kite works exceptionally well in the light stuff and has the range to allow you to not worry when it picks up. Remember stuff like the '03 19m Fuel or 20+ Naish's or the JoJo 12m!!?

For me personally, I used to almost hope it stayed under 15knots when on those.
I look back at that now and laugh. I am more than happy with the Contra Xbow and its performance. Donna rides it in just sick light wind, and then can stay on it up to solid 16 with no worries. That is pretty sweet.

AE, I think this is one of the best kites you can get as a new rider at your size for the light winds of FL, if you can afford it. It is exceptionally stable and a user friendly kite for a beginner from 11 to 17 knots.
We are out of them BTW, so this is not a sales shpiel for the shop, its just my honest take on the CCB.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Scott,

It is a great performer above wind minimums. I was drifting off on which jumps better in the 20 kt. plus range. So far, I have better luck with the Switchblade. The Contra has excelled at the low end on the other hand. Tonight, four of us met up for a light thermal wind downwinder. Sadly, a cold front came along and stole the breeze. Still, we tried and failed!

I got one run in just about the time of the plunge around 6 pm. After that, it really wasn't on. The windgraph doesn't show the frequent 4 kt. or less lulls after this time. If it was close to 8-9 kts. sustained it would have been doable I think, although perhaps not much fun.

I have found that if it is around 11-12 kts. + it is pretty good for cruising around at my weight, 190 lbs. on a 135 cm Float.

Thanks for coming down Michael. We gave it a go. BTW, that was a shelf cloud I saw coming in from the NW, a particularly nasty one. Lots of rain and gusts into the high 30's to 40's I would guess. It has been going on for the last hour in Boca. We'll have to give it a try again!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-14-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI
Thanks for coming down Michael. We gave it a go. BTW, that was a shelf cloud I saw coming in from the NW, a particularly nasty one. Lots of rain and gusts into the high 30's to 40's I would guess. It has been going on for the last hour in Boca.

We'll have to give it a try again!
It was good to meet up with you Rick and its always nice to check out other beaches/launches. Perhaps we'll slide down your way (on a nice downwinder) once the North winds start to blow :wink:

That storm put on quite an impressive lighting show for over an hour :shock:
I sat out on the porch with a drink and enjoyed the cooler temps and Mother Nature doing her thing.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Michael,

It was good practice for us all in setting up kites and working on sub-stall speed flying. Running upwind to launch a 14 m kite is one of my favorite activities?

Grabbing a north wind ride to the south makes good sense. Hopefully, the N and NE winds will be pumping through again soon. If we work it out in advance, I could give you guys a ride back.

It was a pretty interesting storm, more so by not dropping some tornado's along the way. I think this might be our first cold front nearing the end of the summer. Keep 'em coming!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 08-14-2006, 10:35 PM

thanx guys...