FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 04-18-2007, 04:48 PM

Default stop milwaukee sewage dumping sighn petition

I made a petition to stop milwaukee from dumping sewage into lake michigan!!!
im tired of getting sick and having to ride in nasty smelling water
its just plain nasty!!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/MMSD547/petition.html

spread the word the more people that sighn it the bigger the impact!!!

soo please sighn it everyone......

later
-henry

PS. maybe someone could like sticky this topic or something so that more people see it so they can sighn it

you guys have sharks we litterally have shit ;-)
Old 04-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
I made a petition to stop milwaukee from dumping sewage into lake michigan!!!
im tired of getting sick and having to ride in nasty smelling water
its just plain nasty!!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/MMSD547/petition.html

spread the word the more people that sighn it the bigger the impact!!!

soo please sighn it everyone......

later
-henry

PS. maybe someone could like sticky this topic or something so that more people see it so they can sighn it

you guys have sharks we litterally have shit ;-)
That's a tough one. It has been standard practice for many decades to dump primary and in more recent times, secondarily treated sewage into the Intracoastal and Ocean in SE Florida. A gazillion gallons over the years. When I was 17, we did a bounce dive to 300 ft. about five miles north of the nearest sewage outfall. I saw pink shredded toilet paper and brown cast water down to about 175 ft. That'll get you stoked to keep going?! There has been an incidence of toxic fish and bird paralysis from feeding on bait in the outfall plumes at times in the past. A professor did a dye tracer study on an outfall in Palm Beach County a long time back. It showed that the plume, which in that case discharged along the 90 ft. water depth contour, arched into shore within 2 miles down current.

People create sewage, lots of it, what do you do with it? Not sure where some fast food franchises are getting their raw material supply but I doubt we can unload it there. So, get rid of the people or ? to better manage the waste. Not sure if deep well injection is an option up that way or not. Not too far away I know the water comes from a couple of thousand feet deep making deep well disposal less feasible.

Of course they could go to tertiary treatment, you can drink that effluent. Maybe that is the solution. It costs and there are still waste products. My point is that it may not be enough to say stop, you might need to lobby for a new feasible direction at the same time.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-18-2007, 10:21 PM

rick yea your right but it cant hurt if people sighned it either

milwaukee dumps alot alot alot more then any other town on the lake

you guys beaches get closed cause of sharks and ripcurrents,
our beaches get closed because of bacteria levels are too high from milwaukee dumping. they litteraly put up a sighn infront of the beach and sometimes close the parking lot saying its not safe. we all rode one day when it was closed since it was realy good and 2 of my freands got sick and i just didnt swallow any water that day lol

lake michigans alot differant then the ocean since its way smaller and there isnt a constant current like the gulf that moves the sewage away from shore so it just kinda sits there and drifts along the shorelines gathering up along the beaches. its kinda like if you put a drop of food coloring(sewage) in a cup (lake) it makes the water change color if you put a drop of food coloring in a bucket(ocean) it will make little differance. you can smell it when youre in the water.

a lake michigan "sewage" wave at zion (south of milwaukee)

isnt that a lovely shade of green. lol

Last edited by snowball; 04-18-2007 at 10:22 PM. Reason: bad link
Old 04-19-2007, 07:27 AM
ruffridah89

Talking

i signed it.
We got sharks, you got waves
-Danny
Old 04-19-2007, 07:46 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Another approach would be to do some testing on your own and compare the results to State and Federal guidelines or standards. Coliform testing is fairly inexpensive at about $20. a pop. You could publicize your results and organize a call in/email campaign to as many related agencies that come to mind from the City to the Feds. In Florida, there is regular monitoring of surface water for Total Coliform. As a result of this, there are periodic beach closings to bathers.

Cases in point, last weekend in Key West, a little island way out in the middle of nowhere. And, Ft. Lauderdale at the start of the Race to the Bahamas. We were risking more than big seas and sharks, the beach was closed due to excessive enteric bacteria!

On the whole, we should manage this stuff better, everywhere. As bad as it is for the odd kiter, you should see the damage to the life that has to live there full time.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi