FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-08-2008, 06:15 AM

Default Everyone, BE CAREFUL TODAY!!!

Wow, spring is here. This front is producing some major wind, and crazy gusts. I know that we are all excited about riding today, but please be careful. When in doubt, don't go out. I would hate to read about any kitemares!! Have fun, and keep an eye out for one another!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRyder View Post
Wow, spring is here. This front is producing some major wind, and crazy gusts. I know that we are all excited about riding today, but please be careful. When in doubt, don't go out. I would hate to read about any kitemares!! Have fun, and keep an eye out for one another!!!
Excellent advice!

Just been looking around the State this morning, lots of activity out there. People need to be careful and make good choices at more than Hobie Beach.

- Wind from 43 to 52 mph at Tyndall Tower in the Panhandle
- Wind from 30 to 52 mph at Pass-A-Grille south of Tampa
- Wind from 28 to 43 mph at Huguenot near Jacksonville with similar winds at Matanzas south of St. Augustine

Winds are building to the south and east currently with stronger winds likely today. You can see spikes as the squall line moves over followed by even higher winds in some cases. This is a powerful front. Note: wind readings may differ from actual winds but you can assume they are likely STRONG.

These areas are well behind the leading edge squall line which is pretty spectacular on radar, lookout Keys and the Bahamas! This post frontal boundary trend will likely be moving more southerly as the day goes on.

Always look at real time winds upweather to see what might be coming your way and when. This would be a good day to sit out in a number of areas, more useable wind on the way this season.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-08-2008 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

How's the Dunedin sensor? It is showing 25 to 43 mph and building just to the north. None of these sensors are without artifacts, some are worse than others. Local knowledge is important about corrections, increased errors with certain wind directions. Still statewide there is a strong trend. Hope your hurricane kite comes with hurricane luck. Thinking about the guy that lost it in Seattle months back. Be careful out there.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 03-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Skyway Scott

Deleted that post about that sensor. Dunedin sensor does best when reading directions from the south, I think.
It's definitely gusting to 40 plus all along the beach. That's a ton of wind.

My 7m Ozone Instinct can handle 40 easy peezy.
Thing is, as we both know, equipment failure is what is going to whack you in this wind (imo). If a bridle or line snaps, you are gonna go mach something right in. That's why I ride TI (widest beach we have) on these days.
Also, I don't jump when gusting to 40+. I just play around in the waves.
Also, no bridles on the Ozone and it has 800 pound lines. That's as safe as I can get in my mind (if I ride in it). I am aslo going to wait a couple hours and then go out, hoping it will slow. If it's still nuking though, I will ride and play it extra safe on the launch, wear a helmet, etc.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:28 AM

Dunedin sensor does pretty good. South it can funnel up the ICW, so it can show higher winds than you'll find in the Gulf. But it's usually perty darn close!