FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > HOW TO START, Kiteboarding Training & Schools > HOW TO START ...
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 02-24-2009, 02:08 PM

Default looking for guidance

hey guys... first post, my name is Dennis and I was given 2 kites by a friend of mine they are both Globe riders one is 15m and the other is 18m. with a bar. My question is the following: Because of work, I'm moving down to Ecuador, south america on the pacific side. I'm new to this sport but I love it. The guidance that I'm looking for is regarding the board. What size board to be more especific. I'm 5'-11", 200-210 lbs and would like to catch some air as I progress in my classes down in Ecuador. As you all prob know the pacific waves are big and spaced bigger than on the atlantic so I don't know if a surfboard will do better than a kiteboard. What I'm trying to do is gather all the gear I need so that I take everything with me at once. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hello Dennis,

What sort of winds do you expect to have in Ecuador? Also, what year and model are your kites? Are they C or flat (SLE) kites? I would guess C but am not sure. I have yet to make Ecuador but even at your weight you might want a 9 m flat kite in stronger conditions. Even in C kites, a quiver consisting of 15 and 18 m kites is targeted at pretty light winds. Important question, have you had any lessons yet?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 02-25-2009, 08:24 PM

when winds are high... the waves are big, so I believe that the kites are a good size for me, don't know for sure. the winds are normally low... dont know exactly what speed. I'm currently looking for clases probably this weekend @ ft. Laud. beach the kites are Curl model, I cannot say what yr they are... I don't know.
Thanks
Old 03-04-2009, 10:41 PM

Dennis...get some lessons first , before you do anything. A good instructor will answer all your questions. And those kites are kind of big...could be dangerous...

Brad Lange
Seven Kiteboarding, Islamorada, Florida Keys
www.sevensports.com
305-853-KITE
Old 03-04-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad View Post
Dennis...get some lessons first , before you do anything. A good instructor will answer all your questions. And those kites are kind of big...could be dangerous...
Brad is right...as a novice you need to know what is going on...and before you even start thinking about tackling big waves you need to master some basic skills!

Take lessons and spare yourself potential disaster. Especially in a place like Peru...a minor accident there can turn into a major ordeal medically and financially. You may want to consider travel/evac insurance...but at minimum the first logical and easiest step is to take lessons from pro, have the proper gear, and know how to use it.

good luck with it...you will have an amazing time in Peru. I hope to get down there this year myself.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
Old 04-05-2009, 03:41 PM

Dennis,
I assume you are going to be Kiting at Santa Marianita in Manta, Ecuador?
I use to work there myself as the Site Manager back in 2002-2006 with the FOL. I enjoyed every moment I spent there. You probably already know the spot near Manta. It awesome and the winds begin in May all the way to December. Check out Wladimir while you are there. He will definitely help you out on your progression and at a nice low price.