FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > General Discussion > HOW TO START, Kiteboarding Training & Schools > HOW TO START ...
Connect with Facebook

Old 03-04-2005, 09:54 PM
ruffridah89

Default dudes! Beginner needs some help!

Hey everyone,
Wow. I just got recently been shot wit the dart of love, love of kiteboarding that is. I didnt try how this sport is, but flew some stunt kites. I have some questions, hoping for some answers.
1. Should i first get a trainer kite to get me started, is it a waste of money because i would receive better training and "experience" skipping the trainer kite and going directly to a class?
2. If to get a trainer kite, which one, bang for my buck(and would save me some as well)
2. I read a lot of incidents and accidents about kiteboarding, what are the factors that deal about it and how could it be prevented.
3. What specifically is tea-bagging? And when you get in the air, is it always sure youll land back on the water?
4. Im a 145 er pounder. I live in miami. What size of kite should i get for an all around wind kite?
Dudes and dudets, hope i didnt take much of your time. Thanx!
Danny :lol: 8)
Old 03-04-2005, 09:54 PM
ruffridah89

Default dudes! Beginner needs some help!

Hey everyone,
Wow. I just got recently been shot wit the dart of love, love of kiteboarding that is. I didnt try how this sport is, but flew some stunt kites. I have some questions, hoping for some answers.
1. Should i first get a trainer kite to get me started, is it a waste of money because i would receive better training and "experience" skipping the trainer kite and going directly to a class?
2. If to get a trainer kite, which one, bang for my buck(and would save me some as well)
2. I read a lot of incidents and accidents about kiteboarding, what are the factors that deal about it and how could it be prevented.
3. What specifically is tea-bagging? And when you get in the air, is it always sure youll land back on the water?
4. Im a 145 er pounder. I live in miami. What size of kite should i get for an all around wind kite?
Danny :lol: 8)
Old 04-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: dudes! Beginner needs some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiar2000
Hey everyone,
You should talk to the instructor you have selected and then see how you progress in the classes.

Quote:
That is a simple question with a complex and involved answer. The shortest answer is contained in the Safe Kiteboarding Guidelines located here: http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=227
A VERY common factor is not only learning about what hazards may be present but also appreciating the threat they pose. Once you are past that common sense and some reading should carry you a good way.

[quote
3. What specifically is tea-bagging? And when you get in the air, is it always sure youll land back on the water?[/quote]

Tea bagging happens when you have too large a kite up for existing wind conditions. If you anticipate conditions correctly and pick the right kite size, tea bagging shouldn't be very likely at all. No, guys have been tea bagged from the water on to the land or even while on the land in the first place. It has been the cause of some serious injuries.

Quote:
Go through your lessons and after that you should have your own idea about what would be a good kite size for you to use. It is dependent upon a lot of factors, typical winds, wave conditions in addition to your weight.

Danny :lol: 8)[/quote]

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: dudes! Beginner needs some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiar2000
Hey everyone,
You should talk to the instructor you have selected and then see how you progress in the classes.

Quote:
That is a simple question with a complex and involved answer. The shortest answer is contained in the Safe Kiteboarding Guidelines located here: http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=227
A VERY common factor is not only learning about what hazards may be present but also appreciating the threat they pose. Once you are past that common sense and some reading should carry you a good way.

[quote
3. What specifically is tea-bagging? And when you get in the air, is it always sure youll land back on the water?[/quote]

Tea bagging happens when you have too large a kite up for existing wind conditions. If you anticipate conditions correctly and pick the right kite size, tea bagging shouldn't be very likely at all. No, guys have been tea bagged from the water on to the land or even while on the land in the first place. It has been the cause of some serious injuries.

Quote:
Go through your lessons and after that you should have your own idea about what would be a good kite size for you to use. It is dependent upon a lot of factors, typical winds, wave conditions in addition to your weight.

Danny :lol: 8)[/quote]

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 04-09-2005, 08:27 PM
ruffridah89

Default thanx

Rick,
Thanx for the great advice. I really would appreciate this sport with a lil more of safety(although im a beginner). Definetaly read posts, talk to pros, not to mention words of advice. It's true to never fear this sport, but respect it. Keep in contact, dude
Danny 8)
Old 04-09-2005, 08:27 PM
ruffridah89

Default thanx

Rick,
Thanx for the great advice. I really would appreciate this sport with a lil more of safety(although im a beginner). Definetaly read posts, talk to pros, not to mention words of advice. It's true to never fear this sport, but respect it. Keep in contact, dude
Danny 8)