FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

Old 05-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Great shots and video Chris, thanks for putting them up! It was a fun run, thanks to Neil, Kent and all the riders for bringing it about.

BTW Chris, stay tuned. Something is going up online that may be of interest tomorrow.

The starting point

Last edited by ricki; 05-21-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Kent is putting together a writeup with the results of the 30 odd mile race from Ft. Lauderdale to Crandon. In the meantime, what do you remember? Did anything go wrong or right for that matter that sticks in your mind? More photos to follow.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 05-21-2007, 09:46 AM

The down wind race was tons of fun. The conditions were far less than the Jupiter to Ftl. race but perfect for my 12. I would guess that we had winds ranging from 15-22 knots and seas to 3 feet at times. The inlets were very confused and offered a large challenge, especially for the strapless guys. Given the high tide, flat spots were few and far between.

We saw a variety of equipment being used. Boards ranged from production twin tips, strapless surf boards, directional, and even a water ski (that did very well).

In all I think that we had about 22-25 starters with 21 riders finishing the 28 mile course. The top 10 riders pushed it pretty hard while several others just wanted to ride some waves and see the coast.

Finishers: I can't remember all of the gear that riders are on, but I filled in most. feel free to correct spelling and equipment as Paula didn't know everyone.

1st Damien Thomas (slingshot 15 w/ ss circuit board)
2nd Kent Marinkovic (Cabrinha SB2 12 w/ DC directional quad board)
3rd Jordan ??? (North older version, not sure of board)
4th Garry Menk (Cabrinha SB2 w/ large water ski)
5th Todd Greaux (Cabrinha CB2 w/ production Cab Custom 133)
6th Hamish M. (Slingshot w/ strapless tri fin surf board)
7th Stew
8th Louis
9th Neil H. (Slingshot w/ ss srt)
10th Alex B.
11th Packet
12th S.A. Alex
13th Rob
14th Matt M.B.S.
15th Dougal M. (Strapless Surf Board)
16th Grace (Slingshot... 1st lady)
17th Burt
18th Rick I. (Cabrinha)
19th Andrea (Slingshot... 2nd lady)
20th Terri (Slingshot)
21st Jay

Kent
Old 05-21-2007, 10:05 AM

What I remember...

I have been checking out different fins lately trying to find a board that goes very well upwind, but that won't kill you off the wind. I ended up using 2 back fins that we about 1 inch longer than what I use in the 60 down wind race. It was obvious right from the start that the board had tons more power, but not as much top end and was far more taxing on my legs. The nose seemed to ride a bit lower with the larger fins and when I moved my weight to the front leg, my speed suffered far more.

Jordan, Damien, and I were well in front after the first mile with Jordan being about 1/4 of a mile in front of Damien and myself. Damien and I rode basically overlapped for the first mile and then I seemed to push ahead by a bit. It took me until about mile 4 to catch Jordan and it happened when he took a spill. At this point I rode in the front by about 1/4 of a mile with Damien and Jordan battling it out just behind. I held my lead until about mile 21 when my legs started to leave me. Big Damien put on the after burners when the winds picked up a bit and caught me about 22nd street on Miami Beach. Briefly we went turbo off the wind, only riding about 6 feet apart. I caught a little chop and went over the bars ending with a wrapped kite with Damien! I quickly removed my leash just in case things went bad, but Damien had some quick thinking that helped the situation. We were up and riding again after less than a minute.

Damien pulled away by about 100 yards as I continued to struggle just before Government Cut. I took a few more falls and Damien looked solid and rode though the Cut. After the cut, he held a lead of about 2 minutes all the way through the finish. Jordan finished behind me by about the same distance.

In short, I felt that Damo's and my speed was very similar for the first 19-20 miles, but Damo's tree trunks took over when my rubber bands failed!

Good job Damien and thanks Neil for letting us launch at Tiki Beach!

Kent
Old 05-21-2007, 10:18 AM

Awsome day, great fun. The one thing that sticks in my mind was blowing out my footstrap 3 mile from the start, sucked but was inspired by Hamish and Doogle Mcdonald and said to myself hell with it if they can do it with no footstraps I can do it with one. Then Hamish pasted me as if I was standing still. Great time, Cheers all. Neil
Updated finish:
1st Damien Thomas 1hr 13 mins (slingshot 15 Fuel w/ ss circuit board)
2nd Kent Marinkovic (Cabrinha SB2 12 w/ DC directional quad board)
3rd Jordan ??? (North older version, not sure of board)
4th Garry Menk (Cabrinha SB2 w/ large water ski)
5th Todd Greaux (Cabrinha CB2 w/ production Cab Custom 133)
6th Hamish Macdonald. (Slingshot 9 Fuel w/ strapless tri fin surf board)
7th Stew (Slingshot 11 Fuel w/ custom directional)
8th Louis (Best 11 w/ stock twintip)
9th Neil Hutchinson. (Slingshot T2 14 w/ ss srt one strap)
10th Alex Bloechinger. (Slingshot 13 Fuel w/ custom twintip)
11th Packet (Slingshot 12 Octane w/ stock twintip)
12th S.A. Alex (Slingshot 16 Octane w/ stock twintip
13th Rob (Naish 12 w/ ss srt)
14th Matt M.B.S. Best 12 w/ stock twintip)
15th Dougal Macdonald. ( Slingshot 15 Fuel w/ Strapless Surf Board)
16th Grace Marcell(Slingshot 12 Link w/ custom twintip, 1st lady)
17th Burt (Slingshot 17 Fuel w/ stock twintip)
18th Rick Iossi. (Cabrinha ContraB 14 w/ Waterboards twintip)
19th Andrea Esno (Slingshot 15 Fuel w/ stock twintip, 2nd lady)
20th Terri Flicek (Slingshot 11 Fuel w/ stock twintip)
21st Jay (Slingshot 15 Fuel w/ stocktwintip)

[img]
Old 05-21-2007, 05:50 PM

What an awesome ride. It was my first race and also my longest trip yet. The 04 Nemesis is still working good. After the first two or three miles I settled in and started to make pretty good speed (relatively speaking) but I had four or five wipeouts throughout the trip that cost me time. I kept getting out ahead of the kites that were around me, then falling back again after wiping out. The water was gnarly through government cut and out in front of Fischer Island and the heavy boat traffic made things even more hectic. I saw two nice sized sea turtles along the way to Crandon.

After Crandon I finished the day with a ride further down to Matheson which was real nice. It was real fast down through the calmer water of the bay with my legs were already used the ocean.

All in all, an amazing day. I'll try to make it up to Ft Lauderdale so that I can get my ass handed to me in more races. Matt.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:36 PM

Thumbs up

I couldn't ride because of party I had but I can't WAIT to race again!!! Thanks to Neil, Rick, and everyone who promoted it!!! And Jay Deauschle for making it the entire way on his 1st Downwinder!!!! Awesome