FKA Kiteboarding Forums  

Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > SE Florida And The Keys Forum > What's happening?
Connect with Facebook

Old 11-09-2009, 01:36 PM

Question Kitetour from Germany to Florida-SE, in March 2010

Hello,

We come from Germany (Berlin) and want to make a tour in March with a
campers to kiting through Florida.
Although often in America we have any questions since we never were on the road with a motorhome.

Can I anywhere stand with the camper, or is it absolutely to use campgrounds?

Clearly, the state parks already have their charm, but I want to be independent.
What about in March? Do I have to pre book the campsites in the state park? Or is there enough place at this time?

There are some beaches where one night with the campers stop and can drink a beer with other riders after session?

I hope you can help me and we get to know us in March in Florida.

So long! Carsten
Old 11-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hello Carsten,

For much of the southern part of Florida, you need to stay overnight in a campground to avoid problems. The state parks in the Keys are in heavy demand with bookings out a year not being that uncommon. You may or may not be able to get into State Park campgrounds on the mainland. You can trying getting in touch with them and see if you can find a space. The good news is there are quite a few private campgrounds throughout the Mainland and Keys. Some links to them and other useful info appears in the Florida Kiting Guide at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2278 (there are other posts in that section that may be helpful to visiting kiters, http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=89).

Have a good trip. March is usually a good wind month here.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-10-2009, 03:43 PM

Hi Rick,

shame, this is exactly what I didn´t want to hear

I love to go on Friday after work with my van to the Baltic Sea. Somewhere on the spot at the parking lot or directly to the meadow to spend my weekend. Usually, we arrange to meet in advance of the forum to build a trench on the sea, chillout, hear music, talk and drink a beer together
Of course, new people are always welcome - this is surf-feeling made in Germany

And this is precisely a no go in "the land of opportunity"

Anyway thanks for the kind of information

So long! Carsten
Old 11-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hello Carsten,

I can relate, having experiences related to parking in parts of Switzerland in the Alps at resorts or even in some major cities in Europe. I believe it comes down to limited area and diverse use that needs to be satisfied. That is certainly what applies here. Considering in SE Florida you're talking about over 5 million people largely within 8 miles of the ocean over three counties. That amounts to considerable density perhaps ten times that of Germany with limited public access and parking to ocean areas. Then add in many decades of intense tourism (many millions) over the same area. More people but the land stays the same, in fact it shrinks. Fifty year ago you might have been able to just park your caravan for the night on the beach in densely populated SE Florida, say Ft. Lauderdale, but not since. You can still do this in parts of northern Florida however usually where population density is quite low. As far as having a drink with friends after a session on or near the beach, that is quite common. It seems to happen all over. Just not camping over night, at least outside campgrounds. The very reason this practice no longer exists in rapidly growing SE Florida is because it is the land of opportunity. So it goes.

It isn't that bad when you check it out. Lots of pluses, some minuses, just like many places.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 11-10-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:46 AM

Default camp grounds

There is a great campground called Jabours just outside Key West, if you get down here look us up , we will be happy to kite and share beers with you.

Greg

http://www.keywestkiteboarding.com/
Old 11-11-2009, 02:16 PM

Hi Rick,

okay, I understand a little bit away from the towns and beaches so is also okay?
We'll see if we incorporate the NE which even in our travel plans. What is there really with the wind in March?

Can I in "pinch" use the parking lot of the shopping mall for a night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg meintjes View Post
There is a great campground called Jabours just outside Key West, if you get down here look us up , we will be happy to kite and share beers with you.

Greg

http://www.keywestkiteboarding.com/
Then I know definitely where I'm going at KW to the campground
I'm just views the website and would like to join a nice boat ride with you. Can you send me the exact address or can I see it from the road? Do I have to pre book here, or is there enough space?

So long! Carsten
Old 11-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hello Carsten,

I haven't really used a camper down here and can only comment on what I've seen. You might get away in a shopping mall parking lot or you might get rousted by the police in the middle of the night. I imagine enforcement varies, there really are a lot of campgrounds. There will be some demand as you will be traveling during spring break and the campgrounds are also popular with the college kids. Others have input on this in SE Florida?

The websites for both public and private camp grounds appear in the link I posted about this at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2278 (there are other posts in that section that may be helpful to visiting kiters, http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=89).

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi
Old 11-11-2009, 10:07 PM

check out coconutcoveresort.net in Islamorada and see what they can do...

we might be able to find a parking spot for you...

Brad Lange
Seven Kiteboarding, Islamorada, Florida Keys
www.sevensports.com
305-853-KITE
Old 11-12-2009, 04:46 AM

Default key west

Hi Carsten, how long you are planning on camping in Key West will depend on if you will have to pre book, The boat leaves from Hurricane hole marina at the entrance to Key West, it is on the highway, just give me a few days notice and I will get you out. How many are coming down?

Greg
Old 02-13-2010, 09:14 AM

Hi Folks,

Thank you once already. There are only two weeks
The last few weeks I´ve never came to planning our vacation. We had very good conditions for

snowkiting directly outside my door Here are some pictures of views:

http://www.spotspy.net/imagealbum/in...pe/user/id/240

Now the wind has exposed a little bit and I'll do my thoughts about the vacation to you.
And I rejoice also at higher temperatures

What should I pack on kites and boards?
2 Boards 2 kites, or better 1 Board 3 kites (I have Kite 7; 10 and 14sm / Board 1,31 and 1,40m)
Neo 5mm or submit a shorty?
What size are you going in March?

So, at first we want to get the direction to the keys and then we will make another detour to the Gulf Coast and / or the Atlantic Ocean above Miami, dependend of the forcast

Can anyone recommend a campsite south of Miami in direction off the Keys for the first 2 or 3 days?

@ Greg
we only come in one pair with one camper

So long! Carsten