Go Back   FKA Kiteboarding Forums > MAIN FORUM > ** KITER BUZZ **
Connect with Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/rick.iossi

Old 06-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Arrow FAREWELL TO TIKI BEACH PARTY - Sat., June 6, 2009

Tiki Beach

For the first time in almost ten years, there is no longer a kiteboarding concession in Ft. Lauderdale ... Tiki Beach. Started by Chris Kjos and taken over and expanded by Neil Hutchinson it has been a South Florida icon for kiteboarding. I've said many times, I felt it was the best run designated beach in North America. Sadly, after today, it is no longer.

The cost of the concession went up substantially, the rules became objectionable and one party's harassment untoward and beyond tolerance. We owe Neil a great deal, for all the great events he has brought us, organized and judged, fights for access, fund raisers and so much. That may well continue but for now, Tiki Beach is in the past. Just fighting to preserve access at Tiki alone is a debt we would have trouble repaying. What comes now regarding Ft. Lauderdale access, we don't know.

One thing we know for SURE, idiotic kiting behavior provoking complaints is ASSURED to lose the City for us. This doesn't have to come to pass, not by our hand anyway, not now Everyone's help in EFFECTIVE self policing is ESSENTIAL throughout SE Florida. Lots of threats out there, it is up to us to secure our privilege to ride.

The Trove

Anyway, I'm planning on heading down to the Treasure Trove for one more party tomorrow night. It is in celebration of Neil, Chris, Helga and all the folks that worked so long and hard to create and keep Tiki Beach for us. So, the invite is out there, come on down and wish the folks the very best, they've earned it.

The Treasure Trove is hosting the party with a hog roast, a keg of beer and more. The Trove has been the scene of many parties including the historic race to Bimini in the Bahamas in 2005.

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=865

Treasure Trove
2933 SE 5th St
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316-1643
Phone: 954-522-8385

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 06-05-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

A post from Neil

Saturday June 6th, *Today it is official that this is the last day of Tiki Beach as we know it. Unfortunately due to new city contract requirements,*we are unable to renew our contract. At this moment in time, after a public bid has been advertised and issued, no one else has*elected to bid on that contract either. *We would like to thank everyone that has helped and supported us over the years: The founder Jon Grau, over fifteen years ago, for lobbying and turning our beach into "the place to be", then Chris Kjos who did wonders for our beach. Chris ran the beach for many years and introduced us all to kiteboarding and worked above and beyond doing an extraordinary job growing the world's fastest and most exciting watersport in the world today.

The lifeguards of Ft Lauderdale that have worked so diligently with us over the years, we could not*have done this without them. The Treasure Trove, with all their help and support that cannot*be matched.

My partner Helga Goebel, who has been there, injured or not, and bringing even more to the beach than we ever had, I could not have done it without her.

My part time employees, Evan Bell ( our new pilot) and Chris Ferrel (our new future dad). My girlfriend Terri and two dogs that have put up with me for the past three years*working 7 days per week and not being home, with my entire time revolving around the beach. But last but not least, all of you that have been there helping out and just bringing your stoke*to the beach.

*Saturday we will be on the beach clearing out the last of our equipment and hanging out under our new Tiki Beach tent. Please come down and say hi or goodbye. We are not really going anywhere, we (or they) are just now changing the goalposts. At 6pm we will be at the Treasure Trove remembering all of the good days past, and*looking forward to*the future of Tiki Beach with a full Pig Roast, and drink specials. *Hope to see you all there.*

This is not the end, it is more like the beginning, we have plans of a new future right now. In the meantime we will still be at the beach loving what we all love, but ask that everyone please respect the rules that the city has in place. We all bring something and this is the only way we will carry on, so we need to stick together and keep the spirit alive.**It is our beach, and we need everyone to please help police it, as it is down to all of us to keep the beach safe and ensure future public access.* Please keep an eye on our facebook page and group emails as now it will be more like Tiki happenings and Tiki future plans.*If anyone has any pictures of the beach or stories they would like to share please post them here and keep things alive. Things are only going to get better.*We love all of you, respect you, and trust us, things are only going to get better. Hope to see you tomorrow.Tiki Beach!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi